OR50 Combo

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Stig

OR50 Combo

Post by Stig » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Can you help date this combo please. Amp#: 239 Case#: 60886. PR is written in the case in felt pen above the handle cutout.

The other speaker is a more modern Goodmans.
What is something like this worth?
Dane
old OR50 (too loud)

Stig

Re: OR50 Combo

Post by Stig » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Found a date for the speaker on this page
http://www.unclespot.com/celestion_date_codes.html

So the speaker was made on 25 October 1971? (wrong... read on)

(Edited to point out mistake.)
Last edited by Stig on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old OR50 (too loud)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi Stig.

Sorry you're not getting many responses, but frankly I doubt we can help you much with one exact date. The amp serial number and appearance don't seem to fit together in that the serial number looks a lot earlier than the amps faceplate would suggest. See here (including the dating page near the bottom of the left menu) for an idea of what I'm talking about:
http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd say you probably have an older head chassis which was later put into a combo cabinet. Hard to say for sure exactly what is what though. Are those the original transformers for example? Don't know...

That particular link to Celestion date codes isn't the best. The info is badly / unclearly laid out.
Go to Celestions own site here:
http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... /index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and choose 'chassis date codes' from the bottom drop down menu. You'll see better which columns are for year, which for month.

Since all codes from 1968 to 1991 are written in the form: Month, Year, Day, that makes your DK25 driver 25th April '77. Who know if it is original to the amp / combo cab though. Soldering certainly isn't original...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks Andy.
I wondered, when it wasn't easy to find threads on here about it.

Speakers may well have been rewired in my time as the amp has been loaned out a few times. I will get the chassis out sometime and get photos of the other side and look for more clues.
Played it the other day and it brought the girlfriend up to music room to see what was making all that noise. Now she's saying "What's it worth?" Don't think she wants me to play it again!
Dane
old OR50 (too loud)

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:59 am

Where are you from Stig?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Stig

Post by Stig » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 am

@Orphin South East Scotland: The Borders
old OR50 (too loud)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Stig wrote:@Orphin South East Scotland: The Borders
Have spent plenty of time cycling around the borders over the years. Lived in Edinburgh up 'till about 8 years back but have good friends in the borders.

If you are needing a good amp / guitar tech I can put you on to one of the very best around. PM me if you want.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Found another one on the web! Looks very like mine.
http://www.myspace.com/orangecombo/phot ... A994844%7D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
old OR50 (too loud)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 am

Cool amp! No idea of date though... sorry.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am

Hi again Stig. Had a good year?

You've still got the amp then. (The girlfriend too? :wink:)

Yeah, still a cool amp that. There can't have been so very many OR50s made. It doesn't even seem to be listed at all on the Orange Amp Field Guide...
http://www.orangefieldguide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably pretty similar to an OR80, but rarer! Of course Orange have just put out something the call an OR50, but you seem to have the real thing, FAC and HF drive and all! 8)

You were already sorted for amp techs then I take it? Amp behaving itself?

Andy.

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

You have a very nice late 70's Orange amp. The amp is hard to date because it is made by Matamp for Orange. You can tell because the amp had the black transformers with the serial number hand written on the chassis, transformers as well as the caps. You can email matamp direct and get an exact date of manufacture with the amps serial number. They still have the original log book from the 70's. Orange sometimes contracted out work to Matamp when they needed more production. From the looks of it the amp looks all original. You should be able to get a close date from the speaker codes. Matamp.co.uk is where you can find contact info to get an exact date of manufacture.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Celestion date codes:
http://www.unclespot.com/celestion_date_codes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DK25 suggests that speaker was made Apr 25th 1977. May not be original of course, and the other was of course replaced with a Goodmans.

Andy.