plate for orange 80

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

plate for orange 80

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 am

My Orange 80 was not working (as it was blowing fuses every 10 seconds till it quit). Anyway, the (only available "kid") worked on the amp as I needed it pronto. I was told the plate was giving off 100 'amps' as opposed to 80. Apparently they 'fixed' that one issue. So, was that a prudent decision or did I have someone "mess with" my amp in a negative manner. Just curious - I supposed he did something to the plate to make it lower amperage. It seems I turn up louder with a 2x12 vin30 and h12 than I did in the past with a 4x12 greenback. Also, would a groove tube rated 1/3 be as "good" as the ones rated 3/4 ( in their rating meter system for breakup)? Could I effectively turn down the volume and get the 'same' sound? Thanks for any clarity in advance.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: plate for orange 80

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:My Orange 80 was not working (as it was blowing fuses every 10 seconds till it quit). Anyway, the (only available "kid") worked on the amp as I needed it pronto. I was told the plate was giving off 100 'amps' as opposed to 80. Apparently they 'fixed' that one issue. So, was that a prudent decision or did I have someone "mess with" my amp in a negative manner. Just curious - I supposed he did something to the plate to make it lower amperage.
I have no idea what the "kid" was talking about. I guess he is talking about the plates of the power valves. If so and he actually said 'amps' I don't think he has much idea either.
Perhaps you misheard? If not then I'd advise getting a "grown up" to look at your amp.
It seems I turn up louder with a 2x12 vin30 and h12 than I did in the past with a 4x12 greenback.
That simply has to do with the loudspeakers efficiency (or 'sensitivity'). More sensitive speakers like the V.30 or G12H-30 (100dB/W/M rating) are simply louder than the G12M-25 (98dB/W/M) for any given amount of power from an amp. Two of these more sensitive types will sound about as loud as four of the less sensitive G12Ms. That is normal.

Also, would a groove tube rated 1/3 be as "good" as the ones rated 3/4 ( in their rating meter system for breakup)? Could I effectively turn down the volume and get the 'same' sound? Thanks for any clarity in advance.
'Good'? Depends what you want. Even when the amp has been properly biased for them, the lower rated ones will not stay clean as long as the higher rated ones. If you want early (power amp section) distortion go for the low rated ones. If you prefer more clean headroom before distortion go for the higher rated ones. For general purposes it is est to get mid rated ones. (5-7 or however GT group those now.)
The amp will need rebiased when changing between different ranges, but if you get it properly biased and then use new valves of similar values they should also run fine.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!