Orange AD30R

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

jodders1976

Orange AD30R

Post by jodders1976 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 am

Seen one of these on ebay for sale for £600. Don't know much about Oranges (I always used Marshalls). I currently have a JTM45 loaded with KT66s. I was wandering what the stock valves are like and what is a good replacement?

Also if anyone is good with serial numbers (serial number OR 30C / 204 / 200).

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange AD30R

Post by a.hun » Wed May 05, 2010 10:08 am

jodders1976 wrote:Seen one of these on ebay for sale for £600. Don't know much about Oranges (I always used Marshalls). I currently have a JTM45 loaded with KT66s. I was wandering what the stock valves are like and what is a good replacement?

Also if anyone is good with serial numbers (serial number OR 30C / 204 / 200).
Hi jodders1976.

The single channel AD30 reverb was a good amp. Nice, simple, good sounding and with great touch sensitivity. 'Irish Admiral' our top poster here has one and will probably be along shortly to agree. He may even have some little tweaks for you. :wink:

Wouldn't worry about the stock valves. Chances are they were Chinese junk and all died long ago. If not than replace them with something like Electro Harmonix (generally brighter sounds) or JJ (fuller less toppy sounds), or a mixture. These are the sort of better quality valves Orange now tend to use themselves. Valve tonal preferences are down to individual taste though. Trying a forum search will get you plenty of different opinions...

Don't know what is going on with that serial number though. They used to be pretty much meaningless, but this info is from a 2004 thread, when Orange tried to bring order to the chaos:
Admin wrote:(http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The last four digits of the AD series serial numbers tell you the month and year it was made. For example 1564-06-03 was built during June 2003 (O6-03).

Jason
That would indicate to me it is a pretty early AD30R, but I'm only guessing.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:20 pm

jodders1976 wrote: Also if anyone is good with serial numbers (serial number OR 30C / 204 / 200).
That appears to be the serial number format used when the amps were manufactured by Trace Elliot. Probably February 2000.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

jodders1976

Post by jodders1976 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Were they any good in that era?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm

jodders1976 wrote:Were they any good in that era?
Oh sure. The basic design of the amp is prett much unchanged apart from adding a near identical preamp channel, and losing the reverb.

Main performance upgrades since the time are better quality stock valves and upgraded transformers. On the transformers:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=6826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There may have been other slight circuit changes I'm not aware of but nothing major AFAIK. Like I say, good amps!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jodders1976

Post by jodders1976 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 am

Well I got it for £550 in the end. One of the vavles seems to glow up really bright when you first turn it on but then glows the same as the others, suspect it needs new ones. Might try a complete set of JJs. Also the back cover where the amp sits on needs a replacement so off to Orange to see if I can source one of those. Other than that played my Les Paul through it and it seems louder than the JTM45. Can't wait to try this at a gig.

Thanks for the advice

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

jodders1976 wrote:Well I got it for £550 in the end. One of the vavles seems to glow up really bright when you first turn it on but then glows the same as the others, suspect it needs new ones. Might try a complete set of JJs. Also the back cover where the amp sits on needs a replacement so off to Orange to see if I can source one of those. Other than that played my Les Paul through it and it seems louder than the JTM45. Can't wait to try this at a gig.

Thanks for the advice
You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear you grabbed it - good move!

Joe (irish_admiral) didn't turn up, but was just talking about an AD30R here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the glow is just the normal central heater element I wouldn't worry about it. The valve glows you should worry about are if you ever see any signs of RED PLATING, ie red glow from the valve plates. See the pic on that linked thread for an example.

Sure grab a new set of EL84s and keep the old ones as spares if they still work okay in comparison. Always handy.

Good luck with the new amp then! :D

Andy.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

jodders1976 wrote:Well I got it for £550 in the end.
Cool. Now when you get a chance you can open it up and check the inspection sticker to get the exact manufacture date. :)
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001