PA100 head - any ideas on a date?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

rory

Post by rory » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Hello. I've had a PA100 head for the last year or so and am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how old it would be / other trivia about it?

Some basic details:
SN: 637
Tin plate on rear panel has 0A 3524 punched in to it.
Attached power cord
Wooden runs instead of feet.
Weighs a ton. Almost.

Some piccies:
and

Many thanks!

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:31 am

Doesnt look like it gets much use any more, With no voltage selector. Do you have any pictures of the back with the pannel off? This would date from 1971-1973. From the looks of the hand written serial number it looks like it is a Matamp made Orange. Matamp still made some amps for orange after the split. Does it still work? You could probably get some good info on this amp at the Matamp forum at www.matamp.co.uk There is a guy there Davesounds who collects this kind of Orange/Matamp gear who knows a lot about them.

rory

Post by rory » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:05 am

Cheers Rally.

The old horse still gets plenty of use - much to the requirement of punters to consider wearing earplags 8) - the piece of electrical cord acts as voltage selector after the original came apart in my hands when I first got it. Seems to do the trick.

The date range you've suggested is in line with what the previous owner suggested, so thanks for the info (I can't find any info elsewhere on the web).

I'll see if I can post an image up of the guts.

Thanks!

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:41 am

I'd even narrow it down a bit more and say between '71 and '72, because it has a Plexi control panel. And I could be mistaken, but I don't think i've seen those odd knobs on anything later than '71...but don't quote me on that.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

art_z
Tiny Terror

Post by art_z » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:12 pm

also note, no Voice of World logo, which would certainly put it before 1973 as well.
www.ambergris.info
Old Tyme Punk Rock

Matamp/Orange
+ Les Paul
-------------
Heaven!