NEED HELP DATING MY CAB!

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

sayheyrey

NEED HELP DATING MY CAB!

Post by sayheyrey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I have been trying to sell a vintage orange cab I have but I can't really find out what it would be worth.

The input for the cab are at the Center back of the cab. Its a 300watt Cab and 16ohms.

Serial# 648

If anyone has any ideas what year this was made or how much it would be worth I would greatly appreciate the help.
:D

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: NEED HELP DATING MY CAB!

Post by bclaire » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Follow some auctions on ebay for your area and see what they sell for- that's your best indicator of value. As far as age, you'd need to pull the back off and check the date codes on the speakers most likely.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 am

Pictures would definitely help. If it has Celestion G12T-75s in it, that may put it around 1975-1979(?). The speaker codes are going to be much more useful than the Orange serial number, which is nearly arbitrary.

sayheyrey

Post by sayheyrey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 am

Well the Speakers are the G12T-75's but the speaker codes are tough to read I sent a privet message to bclaire with the speaker image. Let me know if you're interested in seeing it and I shall post.

I have a feeling this Cab is legit 75-79. Best thing is that she still sounds like an Angel. :wink:

sayheyrey

Post by sayheyrey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 am

Oh well here is the image and what I THINK is the speaker code. It is hard to tell because some of the numbers smudged off.
let me know what you think. :D

Serial 2R6D14573/05

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 am

Speaker codes are written on the frame of the speaker, not the magnets, FYI.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm

That Celestion International speaker label suggest that the speakers are from the 1990's or newer. I think a mid/late 1970's Celestion would have the all-white logo with Rola Celestion on it. The Orange logo on them makes me think that they are from the first "reissue" Oranges made in the mid/late 1990's. The speaker codes would tell you for sure though. Although unlikely, it is possible that the speakers are not original to the cab. However, dating the speakers is as close as you are going to get to that cab's age. The serial number you listed is not making sense to me according to Celestion's numbering system. If you can take a clear photo of it, post it here, or e-mail it to Dr. Decibel at Celestion's website to get a definitive answer about the speaker's age.

sayheyrey

Post by sayheyrey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Yeah, I am working on trying to figure out the Serial code. The code I found was "On the speakers frame" but letters are smudged. I'm doing the best I could with what I've got. I'll touch base here once I figure out what them smudged numbers really are.

tty soon! :D

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 am

Don't you have 4 speakers and, therefore, 4 speaker codes to choose from?

This link tells you how to date the Celestion serial numbers:

http://www.unclespot.com/celestion_date_codes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;