Help in identifying PPC 412 type

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

arewenotsongs

Help in identifying PPC 412 type

Post by arewenotsongs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi everyone, I'm not too sure whether this belongs here or in the tech section but anyway.

I recently came into possession of an orange ppc 412 cab to match my AD 30 single channel head. Great sound improvement!

Only thing, I noticed that on the back plate the power indicated is 120w RMS.
Browsing around I only found the 240w version with V30's (which was the one I was looking for) and the 400w HP version.
The only recent 120w cab I managed to track down is the limited 40th anniversary edition, but that's not what I have, mine has no gold piping, no extra logos on the front cloth and on the back plate it only says PPC 412.

Anyone can help me getting a clue which kind of speakers this cab has before I open it up to find out?

Thanks!
Nicola

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Help in identifying PPC 412 type

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm not sure but I think some of the earlier PPC412's had a mistaken tag on the back and I'm pretty sure they were loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. 30 x 4= 120 but the V30's are really a 60 watt speaker, hence the change... (although when the speakers themselves were first introduced they were listed as a 75 watt speaker so who knows?)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi arewenotsongs, and welcome! :D

Billy could well be right. There were some silly mistakes made with some of the cabs. Mainly I think with US made ones - may be wrong on that bit though. (Are you in the US? YOu can put your location in your forum profile - thats often helpful!)

The ones I've seen (pics of) had the wattage etc hand written. And yes, some nut thought that the Vintage 30s were 30W speakers. Celestion rate them at 60W RMS.

Other possibility would be if it was an older cab which had been fitted with G12H30 speakers. Then the 120W rating would be right...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

arewenotsongs

Post by arewenotsongs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Hello, and first of all, thank you.

I'm from Italy so I'm assuming that my cab was built in the UK. Serial number ends in 10-02 so if I get it right it should mean October 2002.
Yeah I also though it could be just a labeling error, since I did not find any trace of any new "standard" PPC412 rated at 120w.

The previous owner told me it has V30's, but I guess it'll just be impossible to resist the temptation to open it and check for myself...

I'll let you guys know (too bad I can't keep the cab in my apartment otherwise I'd have already done it).

Thanks!

Bradley

Post by Bradley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I just wanted to see if there has been any conclusion to this subject. I have acquired 10 ppc412 straight cabs from a friend who is downsizing. I know what your thinking. Why would you want 10 412 cabs. Because it sounds AMAZING, and he actually had 11. We are keeping 4 cabinets for ourselves.

I have the same problem as your previous post. 8 of the 10 have a 120w rating on the rear tag, but all of them(including the 2 that say 240w on the tag) have g12 V30's.

Has there been any specific conclusion to this topic? Just a mistake by the guy who loaded the cabs?
I'm just curious if this might add to the value if the cabinets?

If it would help, here is the serial number of the one of the cabinets. They all have #'s that are pretty close to each other. I live in the US and I believe they were purchased in New York.

OR412-5393-301

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Bradley and welcome to the forum!

The definitive answer is, Celestion Vintage 30's were out long before the new PPC's came out and have always been a 60 watt speaker. Therefore 4x60 watts=240 watts despite what might have been written on the back. If you verified that they were V30's there's no question that the tag is wrong.

Bradley

Post by Bradley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Thank you for the clarification. The original owner thought he had gotten something out of the ordinary when he originally got them. He ordered 11 cabinets and they didn't come all at once. They were apparently on back order. We were thinking he was sent cabinets intended for someone specific or for some other country. This solves the mystery though. Thank you for all your help. Now we just need a buyer who understands how much better these cabinets are than anything on the market. We are using 4 cabinets and it is incredible. Have a good one.

Bradley

Post by Bradley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I have a follow up question regarding my 412 cabs. In addition to the mislabled ID badges I just noticed that half of them have gold piping and the other half has black. I was under the impression that gold piping was either vintage or the anniversary edition of 2008 (at least in the USA). All of the cabinets are dated 2000, 01 and 02. Any idea of what this means?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi Bradley.

Sorry, no. I've no idea whatsoever what that means.

If Orange USA, who probably made all the cabs, (unless you know different, and please tell us either way), got most of the wattage ratings on the cabs wrong, than I suspect the colour of piping means precisely ZERO!

Frankly I'd go with the fact that Orange PPC 412s are BL**DY great sounding guitar cabs as the major selling point, not the piping colour... :?

(That seem at all reasonable?)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm

All of this suggests that the cabs were simply custom-ordered by the buyer to their specs. Or, they were made with leftover parts :) .