Can someone tell me more about my Orange OR145 ?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

PeeWhy

Can someone tell me more about my Orange OR145 ?

Post by PeeWhy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 am

Hi all,

I'm proud to enter the Orange family. I recently bought an Orange OR145 which is a 50 watts combo with a 15" speaker.

I didn't found anything on the web so would be really pleased to know more about it (specs, brochures, collector version or not, approximate price etcc...)

Those are the pics coming from the seller :

As you might guess, any info is welcomed :wink:
Last edited by PeeWhy on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Can someone tell me more aboiut my Orange OR145 ?

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Nice amp! and welcome to the forum!

Go here:

http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and scroll down on the left to Hustler series and I think you'll find this amp and more info.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Looking again, you'll find similar amps but not your exact model. The Hustler amps are fairly uncommon...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:20 pm

I've never seen that model before. What is it you want to know?
It looks like it's a very late OMI (Old Orange) amp. Looks also as it can be modded into 100 watts if you wanted.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 am

There's a whole thread about your exact amp here on the Plexi Palace forum:
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... =4&t=79491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be pretty rare.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

PeeWhy

Post by PeeWhy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 am

Wow, thanks for the post. It's really interesting for me. One of the post contributor is the seller of my amp (strato.mesa)

I've emailed Orange as well, hope to get some brochure, specs....whatever they can send to me :)

Just tried at home really quickly yesterday, sounds really powerfull, even with a guitar :mrgreen:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi PeeWhy, and welcome to the forum.

Nice amp! 8)

New model to me too, so thats clearly a pretty uncommon amp. As David says its a very late OMI model - May '79 on the date tag means the very last months of production before Orange went dormant 'till the mid '90s.

Cool bass combo. Would be nice to get some clearer shots if you can PeeWhy, especially of the control / back panels.

I see the valves hang downwards on that amp, as opposed to facing the rear on the OR80 / 120 combos. That might cause (overheating) problems if you ever wanted to upgrade it to an 100 watter. (Probably only two more valves / sockets needed - the transformers would almost certainly handle the extra power.) If you ever did that I'd be tempted to install a cooling fan - not something you'll often hear me suggest!

Great find. That should sound huge for guitar, and will make at least one member here pretty jealous. (Le Chat Noir - he plays in a 2 piece and likes bass amps for guitar!)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

PeeWhy

Post by PeeWhy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Sure I'll be able to make any kind of picture that you require

Btw, the combo is so heavy :( that I won't manage to move it that often.

I'll send pics as soon as possible, surely during this week

Thanks !

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 am

Now that I think of it, I've never seen a catalog with any of these amps in them... Guess I need to keep an eye out for that one.

Hopefully, the Orange book will have pictures of that one!

PeeWhy

Post by PeeWhy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Just received an answer from Orange, they will try to find some more info on that amp

I also made some additional pics, i'll try to post them soon (actually my internet is down at home :? )

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

PeeWhy wrote:Just received an answer from Orange, they will try to find some more info on that amp
Be good to hear about that. In fact any info on Oranges last months of production would be good. I really don't know exactly what was going on at the time but was surprised at the time to hear that they'd closed shop. (Shortly after that (in 1980) I bought my '78 OR120M.)

Funnily enough they seemed to be pretty busy with new models at the time they closed down. Things like the Series 2 Overdrives and Superbass amps which are pretty few and far between too. I've never actually played (or seen) any of the old Orange bass specific amps. Be interested to hear exactly what speaker was in your combo. Really cool find!
PeeWhy wrote:I also made some additional pics, i'll try to post them soon (actually my internet is down at home :? )
That would be great! 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

PeeWhy

Post by PeeWhy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Orange answer (quite quick answer :D )

"
This is a Hustler Bass Combo manufactured during 1979.

We manufactured two models…the Hustler guitar combo using a 12” Celestion speaker and the Hustler Bass Combo which used a 15” speaker. The bass version had a port at the bottom of the cabinet and unlike the guitar combo was in a sealed enclosure. The amplifier was built on the standard Orange chassis with the addition of an angled extension bolted to the front which produced the slope facia panel. The chassis was mounted upside down and bolted through the top of the cabinet. The circuitry was based upon the Orange Super Bass Head and both models had the addition of a standby switch. These models formed part of the ‘new look’ range launched at the Frankfurt Trade Fair at the beginning of 1979. There were limited numbers of these products manufactured so this is quite rare. Both models were available in orange and black covering and featured the new look black fittings including a ‘spider’ corner piece and contoured control knobs. Casters have been added at some time as the original feet would have been the traditional wooded ‘skids’. There would also appear to be a modification of some sort on the front panel as there is a neon between the mains on/off and the standby switch. "

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 am

Thats great PeeWhy. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing more pics too when you get a chance.

Yeah I'll bet that thing is heavy!

Andy.

PeeWhy

Post by PeeWhy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:55 am

Here they are....the pics 8)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Meticulous picture-taking! Excellent photos!