Orange Series 2 cab (Updated 24/1-10)

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

mikel
Tiny Terror

Orange Series 2 cab (Updated 24/1-10)

Post by mikel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I have a Orange Series 2 cabinet just like this one http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/idiotfringe01/. As you can see there are no screws on the back. How do I get inside? It seems like I can´t get inside from the front.

New update 24/1-10:

I´m now done with retolexing my cabinet, with great results. As I have written before some guy painted it black in the 80´s when orange wasn´t cool enough. Then it was painted orange. So I decided to retolex the whole cab. Got tolex, piping and corners from Orange. Here is pictures from the front and the back. At the bottom is a picture of a piece of the old tolex with paint. I must say that I´m really proud since this was my first work with tolex what so ever.

Last edited by mikel on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Orange Series 2 cab

Post by bclaire » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm guessing the grille is velcro'd in or something like that and the speakers are front loaded.

mikel
Tiny Terror

Post by mikel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I found my way in. 4 nails in the front.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:25 am

Nails? :shock:
Or was it screws?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

mikel
Tiny Terror

Post by mikel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Nails.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:31 am

How do you remove a nail if it's nailed all the way in?
David

mikel
Tiny Terror

Post by mikel » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 pm

I´ll take a picture, soon you´ll have this all cleared out.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Orphin wrote:How do you remove a nail if it's nailed all the way in?
If there is room, one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claw_hammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:20 am

a.hun wrote:
Orphin wrote:How do you remove a nail if it's nailed all the way in?
If there is room, one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claw_hammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
Certainly, but when it's..
Orphin wrote:nailed all the way in?
David

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:56 am

Yes I had noticed that bit of your question. :wink:

Well, if its...
Orphin wrote:nailed all the way in
...than you wouldn't need to remove it anyway. Not just to remove the grillcloth anyhow!
The nail head would have to be exposed to actually be holding the cloth to the front panel in the first place! And if someone (accidentally) had driven a nail all the way home, well I'd just leave it.

Haven't seen the pics but if, as Billy suggested, the speakers are front loaded, (which they do look to be on that photo you linked above mikel - is that right?), you probably don't need (or want) to remove the whole front panel, only the grill cloth. In fact using nails instead of screws is the best way of making sure the front panel never loosens in use!

The front baffle would almost certainly be attached with more than just 4 nails from the front anyway. I'm fairly sure that if you looked inside from the rear that the baffle would be braced by strips of wood at the sides or corners. And additionally the older PPC4x12 cabs had a center brace strut connecting the front and back panels. Not sure about the series 2 though having never seen inside one.

(You may not like Orange quite as much as Matamp David, but most of us would at least agree that both companies always knew how to make great speaker cabs which would not only sound great, but also not fall apart in regular use!)

If we're just being hypothetical though... to remove a nail which had been sunk all the way in you'd either have to hit it from the other end until it wasn't, or try to get at the head from the front with a carpenters nail pincer...
...or pliers, taking off (or hammering down) a (very) little surface wood as needed, just enough to expose the edges of the head and get a grip. Unless a nail is deep that should be easy enough to do nearly invisibly. (If cosmetics mattered that much, which they wouldn't if you were just going to fix a grillcloth over it again.)

Or... fun solution:
Find a VERY big VERY strong magnet - a big electro-magnet could certainly rip a woodnail clean out of the wood. Though unfortunately it would also move (?remove) all the other nails in the cab at the same time. And spectacularly knacker your speaker drivers while at it. :wink:
(I'm not really recommending this last solution unless you wanted to turn your cab into a redundant pile of ex-functional 'art'!)

Anyway, happily it seems mikel managed to get into his cab!

Yeah, pics of that cab here would be great. They were made right in the very last months of Oranges '70s existence and there really can't be very many of them about at all... 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05 pm

a.hun wrote: (You may not like Orange quite as much as Matamp David, but most of us would at least agree that both companies always knew how to make great speaker cabs which would not only sound great, but also not fall apart in regular use!)
What does that have to do with anything?
David

mikel
Tiny Terror

Post by mikel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:17 pm

I haven´t taken a picture of it yet. But as people says, the speakers are front loaded. I have removed the old tolex today, I´m gonna put some fresh tolex on. It doesn´t seem like there are any screws at all, it´s probebly glued or something like that.

The front baffle is put there with 4 screws and I had a hell getting it off. Had to make a "special" tool so I could get in under the baffle and then pull it out.

Then I had to take out the speakers to get out the handles so I could remove the tolex.

I will take a picture when I am done.

Do you think I have to remove all the old glue before I put on the new tolex?

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Why are you retolexing it?
David

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Orphin wrote:Why are you retolexing it?
:idea: ... The man just likes pain! :wink:

(You've seen his tattoos, right???)

Andy.

mikel
Tiny Terror

Post by mikel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Think the 80´s. Think an orange cab. Think that a guy just heard Judas Priest. Black is the colour he thinks. He paints it BLACK!

Then it´s been "painted" orange again. Then I bought it, I tried to wash it off, but it didn´t look very attractive. So I thought that this relic should have a completely new makeup.