Is this one rare?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

captaingreer

Re: Is this one rare?

Post by captaingreer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Andy, thank you for taking the time to help me with my amp. Right on about the tubes and the drilled hole kinda reminds me that we've all been abused a little but that don't mean we can't make some sweet music. I had Tony Dow (the inventer of Krank amps, about 2hrs from where I live)) give it a good servicing and we did replace those capacitors, and he is very good, but he is a Marshall guy. Who would you recomend that really knows these amps?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:56 am

Glad to help! :D

Other techs in your part of the world? Really don't know. But hopefully your Krankman should know his stuff...

What I meant is that a lot of less less experienced techs who have never come across old Oranges tend to assume they are just like Marshalls and set them up all wrong. I think you'll probably be in safe hands there though! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:42 pm

captaingreer wrote: 2.) What (technically) does the F.A.C. knob do?
Andy provided you the technical answer, and I can add the origin of this control.
It was designed by Mat Mathias in the sixties. By then guitarists didn't want their amps to distort, so he created the "voice control" that Orange later renamed to F.A.C. (Frequency Analyzer Control) to be able to play louder cleans as the lower frequencies will push the signal over the headroom's threshold earlier than the mids and highs.
Orange eventually discontinued this control, but Matamp has kept it. They find it to be useful as to thin out a dark sounding guitar and also can be used as a solo boost (with a footswitch). However, your F.A.C. control isn't switchable.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Very cool, thank you David.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:55 am

It is very cool. Mat Mathias was undoubtedly a great amp designer. And the FAC switching, along with the Baxandall EQ and Presence / HF Drive, made these amps WAY more versatile than most people who haven't tried them would ever realise.

I still think it is a great pity that Orange don't use them on any of their modern designs.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

So true Andy, but what surpasses all the knowledge (which is so very needed) is when I plug staight into this amp at about 2-4 oclock, or even all the way up, it is the sweetest (Orange :P) sounding amp I have ever played, and in 43 years I have played a few :).

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:01 am

captaingreer wrote:Andy, thank you for taking the time to help me with my amp. Right on about the tubes and the drilled hole kinda reminds me that we've all been abused a little but that don't mean we can't make some sweet music. I had Tony Dow (the inventer of Krank amps, about 2hrs from where I live)) give it a good servicing and we did replace those capacitors, and he is very good, but he is a Marshall guy. Who would you recomend that really knows these amps?
Didn't Tony Dow play Wally Cleaver on the TV show "Leave it to Beaver"? It's nice to know he found something useful to do later in life.

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:34 am

Same name two totaly different guys... but some how I think you knew that :wink:

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 am

Sorry, I was bored.

captaingreer

Post by captaingreer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:21 pm

No worries, it was funny.