??? OR 148 ???? need Help

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

ck2630

??? OR 148 ???? need Help

Post by ck2630 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Hi everybody,
I got this Orange OR 148 and as most people here i try to find out some more informations about it. Especially because it dosen´t fit most of the cosmetics we are all familliar with. No grphics, no emblem but an oroginal sticker of the former general dealer.
I put some pics on my myspace-profile:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... Id=1104376

Thanks for your help

Bye

BL
OR 148

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:44 am

Sounds similar to the one mentioned in this thread

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... a266c83bf8

An Orange Matamp
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:16 am

No, that is not an Orange Matamp. It's one of the very first amps that Orange made by themselves. It looks just like an Ormat, but doesn't say Matamp. Those are VERY rare..

All the knobs has been changed though. Contact Matamp for new knobs, correct knobs.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

ck2630

Post by ck2630 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:14 am

Orphin wrote:No, that is not an Orange Matamp. It's one of the very first amps that Orange made by themselves. It looks just like an Ormat, but doesn't say Matamp. Those are VERY rare..

All the knobs has been changed though. Contact Matamp for new knobs, correct knobs.

Why do you think the knobs were changed?
OR 148

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:07 pm

The early Orange amps such as the Pics Only amps had the same kind of knobs as the Ormats, so I'm just guessing that the knobs aren't original, 'cause I've only seen another amp as your before and I can't remember how the knobs looked like. Your best bet is still to call Matamp and ask. They are very friendly, so don't hesitate to give them a ring.

One reason for swapping all the knobs would be that the owner didn't want to have one knob looking different after loosing a knob, so therefor putting new knobs on all controls. I don't know..
David

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:11 am

Cool amp... Its very rare.. I've seen one other like it, its owned by a guy who is Amoun on the Matamp forum at www.matamp.co.uk. That amp is made by matamp. It would have been made for Orange by Matamp... They droped the Matamp from the faceplate around 1972... A lot of the time the faceplates were made at different times than the actual power amp... They are two different units and should have two different serial numbers written on them... I wouldn't be surprised if the power section is older than the pre-amp faceplate section....

The knobs are not original to the amp... It should have the older Orange/Matamp style knobs... No big deal... You can buy reissue knobs from Matamp in the UK.

I love the old Orange gear...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:17 am

Nice amp!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: ??? OR 148 ???? need Help

Post by Orphin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm

That amp is made by matamp. It would have been made for Orange by Matamp...
No. I recall Jeff Lewis telling me that those amps were made by Orange. It was before they had come up with their own design on what was about to be the "pics only" I guess.
David

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Re: ??? OR 148 ???? need Help

Post by Rally Car » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:13 am

I would agree it was Orange made if it was a plexi front pix only head... but That amp has all the Matamp characteristics.... If the amp is Matamp made it will have in black pen the serial number written beside or on all transformers and a signature and date on the side of the chassis... That amp should be hand wired... Please let us know!

I used to own a 200 watt Orange/Matamp head which dated to 1972.... It had the date and Matt Mathias's signiture on the chassis.... That amp had an Orange/Matamp faceplate and the serial number was OR367 which is much newer than the OR148 we are talking about here.

I know that they made the Orange/Matamp heads from 1968-72... The pix only heads were introduced in 71 and were sold along side of the Matamp produced amps... I know this because I have an OR/Mat OR100 head which has the serial number of OR258 which dates to 1971... I got the build date from Matamp's Records.......

Even some of the Pix only heads were made by Matamp during this time.....

You can occasionally see some Matamp made orange amps up to 1976-77.... You can tell a matamp made amp by these two things:

The later amps: pix only and pix and text heads had black transformers and the amps serial number written on and beside the transformers..... They usually had lower 3 digit hand written serial numbers where the Orange made amps have silver transformers and the serial number stamped into the chassis with much more numbers....

We need some gut and chassis shots of that amp to be able to tell more....