REGISTER YOUR ORANGE HERE!

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

ErwinLesPaul

Re: REGISTER YOUR ORANGE HERE!

Post by ErwinLesPaul » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:49 pm

My name is ErwinLesPaul,
I live in The Netherlands in a town called Etten-leur
My amp is the Orange Thunder 30Watt combo,
The serialnumber is V100510031

cruz siberia

Post by cruz siberia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Name; Cruz Caballero (Siberia)
Location; Murcia, Spain

BASS COMBO:
Amp Model; Crush 100 BXT
Serial number; G100610059
Finished; 2009 or 2010

GUITAR COMBO:
Amp Model; Crush 20 LDX
Serial number; 00237-0811
Finished; 2011

GUITAR CABINET:
Amp Model; PPC412
Serial number;OR412-5054
Finished; unknown

GUITAR AMP HEAD:
Amp Model; OR120
Serial number; 1442
Finished; unknown

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Name: Ade
Amp Model: AD15/12
Serial Number: OR-12/204/100
Date finished: 24/02/2000

Name: Ade
Amp Model: AD50
Serial Number: 030
Date finished: 09/12/2003

Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Redwal

Post by Redwal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am

Name: Rod
Amp Model: OR100
Serial Number: 130
Date finished: ?

I bought this in early '80s in Tottenham Court Road - have receipt as well. It has a black velvet covering. There is no orange covering underneath.

Hmmm, can't upload photos

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Redwal wrote:Name: Rod
Amp Model: OR100
Serial Number: 130

I bought this in early '80s in Tottenham Court Road - have receipt as well. It has a black velvet covering. There is no orange covering underneath.

Hmmm, can't upload photos
Hi Rod, and welcome!

Black velvet covering is a new one on me. (Sounds most posh! :lol:) Would love to see pics, but you'd have to upload them to an online picture hosting site (eg Photobucket) and then post links on the forum to the photos there.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

rychehed

Post by rychehed » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 am

Hustler 1x12 Combo (Very strange amp!)

Name: Gary Miller
Amp Model: N/A unmarked
Serial no. on head marked as: 12596
No. on Orange back plate marked as: 64472
Model OR unmarked

Can ANYONE here tell me what the actual serial number is since there are two sets of numbers?...

Pictures of it can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 338&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redwal

Post by Redwal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 am

OK here are photos of "posh" black velvet cover on OR100

Last edited by Redwal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Wow, thanks for the pics Rod.

Thats one FANTASTIC amp you've got there. Really early example, almost certainly around 1970. AFAIK the OR100 ran '68 - '70 and I see that ser. # 151 belongs to a GRO50. So maybe the last OR100? Maybe not, but who knows?
http://www.orangefieldguide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do love black Oranges but have never seen one with that velvet finish before. Do you think that was a factory special or had someone done it later? Any idea on that?

Still got the original Partridge transformers in there? Everything working well?

Bet you've had some fun times with that amp. I got my own '78 Overdrive s/h in 1980, making us two about the 'oldest owners' here! Yours is maybe 'just a bit' more special though. Not so many of those amps around, and even less in black velvet. :mrgreen:

Very nice! 8)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Redwal

Post by Redwal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Andy

I gigged with it last September and it was as good as gold or as well as "black velvet". I think the covering is pretty professional as there are only staples at the back of the amp. Where wood is exposed from general wear and tear there is no evidence of an original orange cover. Could the unit have been supplied with wood only for someone else to cover?

Jimmy Page seems to like black covered Oranges!

Not sure about transformer - will check. I have had it serviced over the years...

Cheers

Rod

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am

Redwal wrote:Thanks Andy

I gigged with it last September and it was as good as gold or as well as "black velvet". I think the covering is pretty professional as there are only staples at the back of the amp. Where wood is exposed from general wear and tear there is no evidence of an original orange cover. Could the unit have been supplied with wood only for someone else to cover?

Jimmy Page seems to like black covered Oranges!

Not sure about transformer - will check. I have had it serviced over the years...

Cheers

Rod
Pagey did, but I doubt that's one of his or we'd have probably known about it here. His amps have been discussed more than a couple of times.

Yes, quite possible it was supplied bare or custom covered. Sounds like it was well done anyway, and maybe from new.

Good to know it has been serviced and is working A1. The main thing that needs done over the years is to keep an eye on the big electrolytic capacitors, replacing them if needed. Hopefully your tech has done that at some point. (Applies to any amp over say 15 - 20 years, especially if unplayed for any period of time when they degenerate faster.)

For the rest, these things were built like tanks and yours may only have needed valve swaps over the years. Be nice to know what sort of valves are in there now as well as the transformers. The original valves may well have been Mullards, and there is a good chance that the original preamp valves at least would still be good. (My '74 Hiwatt DR103 has all it's originals!) The Partridge transformers which OR/MAT used then were fantastic - the very best around and what Hiwatt also used for many years. Be nice if you still had both originals - and the original choke too, the 3rd smaller lump of heavy iron in there. By the time my '78 OR120M was made they'd gone to different transformers / choke, I don't actually know what make are in mine.

Any chance of internal photo's when it is next open on the tech's bench? (Don't kill yourself by messing about under the chassis though - those capacitors can store lethally high voltages for ages!)

Listen, this is really the serial numbers thread. What say you we discuss your amp in the tech forum
HERE?

I'm sure there would be a few others pretty interested in your amp and it'd be better to discuss it there... :)

Andy.

superguitarrero

Post by superguitarrero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Name: Domingo Buleto
Amp Model: AD15/12
Serial Number: OR-12-520-401

I just received this a few hours ago. Purchased on eBay to a scottish dealer. I'm really happy, sounds amazing and it's new, well, it must have been at the shop for 10 years, don't know, but I'm the first owner. If anyone knows how old is it by the serial number, please let me know.
AD1512

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:05 am

Welcome superguitarrero.

Nice find! Amazing that has been sitting so long.

Serial number? Not sure, had they the ....MMYY month year thing from the beginning with the AD series. Sooner, others, is this an apr 2001 or was the ser. no. format not in use then?
(Your profile)
"Brand new" AD15/12
Chinese AD5, slightly modified, for sale though
Small heads up: No selling or buying on this forum I'm afraid.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You might want to change your profile... :idea:

Andy.

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am

Nice find!

Not sure how the serial numbers work or coincide with dates, but mine is Feb 2000 with a serial number of OR-12/204/100 (see post above).

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 am

a.hun wrote: Serial number? Not sure, had they the ....MMYY month year thing from the beginning with the AD series. Sooner, others, is this an apr 2001 or was the ser. no. format not in use then?
The MMYY or MYY format was Jason Green's guess as to the early AD serial number formats and seems to be fairly accurate. It appears that format was used when the amps were made by Trace Elliot until sometime in 2002 when production moved to a new facility. The best way to tell of course is to open it up and check the date on the Trace inspection sticker.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

superguitarrero

Post by superguitarrero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:08 am

a.hun wrote:Welcome superguitarrero.

Nice find! Amazing that has been sitting so long.

Serial number? Not sure, had they the ....MMYY month year thing from the beginning with the AD series. Sooner, others, is this an apr 2001 or was the ser. no. format not in use then?
(Your profile)
"Brand new" AD15/12
Chinese AD5, slightly modified, for sale though
Small heads up: No selling or buying on this forum I'm afraid.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You might want to change your profile... :idea:

Andy.
Cheers andy!
AD1512