Orange Matamp Serial Number

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

shadwell157

Post by shadwell157 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi

I've recently acquired an Orange Matamp 100w with the serial number 343.....has anyone got an idea of its date of birth?

many thanks folks

Joe
brought to you by the letter 'J'

shadwell157

Post by shadwell157 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:17 pm

brought to you by the letter 'J'

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 pm

I know that a OR200 #367 is from 1972, so yours is probably too.

What you can do is to call Matamp and talk to Jeff, be specific though that you have an OR100. He keeps Mat's old records. Those can be able to tell you a lot if you're lucky. Sometimes who it sold to, custom mods etc.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

leahrockstar

Post by leahrockstar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 pm

I have a Orange Metamp mixer and I'd love to be able to date it can anyobody help? It still works it's mono and although there is no serial number it has written on it MX 8102

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:02 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leahrockstar</i>
<br />I have a Orange Metamp mixer and I'd love to be able to date it can anyobody help? It still works it's mono and although there is no serial number it has written on it MX 8102

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
It's between the years 1969-1975. That's for sure. Only way to know any closer is to call Matamp and speak to Jeff Lewis, but I'm not certain if even he can can help you.
Best bet is to call them at around 11am on saturdays, and maybe if you're lucky you might catch John Firth. He might know.

Edit:
Looking again I see it says Orange, Voice of the World, not Orange Matamp as you claim.
That is built by Orange Musical Industries, so it's built between 1972-1979, but I would guess 1972 because the first Orange amps logo looked like the Orange Matamp logo, just like this one.
David

leahrockstar

Post by leahrockstar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 pm

sorry I mean't Matamp see the label on the rear?
It also has written labels by a felt pen was this normal in the early days or could I have a prototype?

more pics here
http://leahharlow.co.uk/orange/orange.htm

any ideas?

thanks
Leah

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Leah.
I'm sorry. I can't believe I haven't seen your last post for so long. Have you spoken to Matamp yet?

When taking a closer look at the pictures, the Voice of the world logo messes it all up.
Everything tells me that the mixer is very early, but the Voice of the world logo wouldn't be there then. Take a careful look and see if you can see if it has been attatched later on?
We read in another thread about a guy selling an Orange P.A. amp on Ebay and when he took a closer look of the Orange logo he could remove it and see that it was attached with tape! [:0]
I'm not asking you to try to remove the logo, just look at it close and see if it looks original.

The writing with a pen tells me it's early. The ORST amps had that at low serials. I've seen #010 marked with pen, #028 is printed. These amps are built in 1969.

But as far as I know, Cliff Cooper didn't come up with the phrase "Voice of the World" until much later on when he started Orange (OMI).
David