Please help date my Orange 4x12 and speakers!!!!!!

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

tannerrobinson

Post by tannerrobinson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 am

Are these speakers even celestions???

Did someone take the originals out and put others in? I thought i sounded like an orange and it sounded pretty good.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:45 am

Oranges came stock with Celestions or Eminence- yours are Eminence- square magnet.

Without seeing the handles, we cannot date it. The best way to date a cab is actually from the date codes on the speakers- you can do a google search for Eminence date codes and find out roughly when your speakers were made- then add a couple of months and that's prob when your cab was made...

Welcome to the forum and you only need to start one thread on a subject...

tannerrobinson

Post by tannerrobinson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 am

thanks sorry i'm kind of freaking out over this :x to see if i got tricked. Ill delete the other.

from http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

67 stands for eminence (the EIA code) and then 74 is the year and 30 is the week.

I'll get yall a picture of the handles if you need more but i think through this research and also seeing this ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-ORANGE-4X12-GU ... dZViewItem

I am convinced it is a 1974. :D

Now I realize that I wanted vintage 30's and sort of feel bad for spending $1000 on it. But hey who thinks it was a good deal for original '74?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:38 am

That might be a little steep, but then again finding a 70's Orange cab is like pulling teeth.

I have to warn you though- I have two 70's Orange 4X12's- both had Eminence in them. I had a 2X12 Marshall cab that I loaded with V 30's and loved so I had to have them in one of my Oranges. So I replaced the Eminence's with V 30's and much to my surprise there was almost no difference other than the V 30's being a bit louder overall. Not enough difference, though, to warrant the $300 plus in speakers that I spent...

tannerrobinson

Post by tannerrobinson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:45 am

thats great advice man. invaluable thanks very for keeping up a great forum!

hippiecrystal

Re: Please help date my Orange 4x12 and speakers!!!!!!

Post by hippiecrystal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 pm

:cry: Hi First post here..so I have a cab that looks a lot like the one above..black and chrome handles..round chrome handles and black piece..'74?
I should crack open the back and check out the speakers, now I"m curious.
:shock: