Old beast I found...Orange Matamp ORST?

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Old beast I found...Orange Matamp ORST?

Post by bclaire » Sat May 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Phlowen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 pm
Billy, you're probably already aware, but it looks like something is up with your theallens.theallens.com site as I can't reach it and none of the images in this thread are showing up. I'd sure like to see them, though!
Weird. Others can see them, right?

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:22 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:14 pm
Phlowen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 pm
Billy, you're probably already aware, but it looks like something is up with your theallens.theallens.com site as I can't reach it and none of the images in this thread are showing up. I'd sure like to see them, though!
Weird. Others can see them, right?
Yes.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Ah, seems it's my VPN. I was getting a 404 error until I shut it off. Pictures come through without any fuss. Sorry for raising a flag when the issue was completely on my end.

Cheers!
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Phlowen wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Ah, seems it's my VPN. I was getting a 404 error until I shut it off. Pictures come through without any fuss. Sorry for raising a flag when the issue was completely on my end.

Cheers!
That's ok, but I was having an issue like that, too, and I don't use a vpn!

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 am

UPDATE:
Sam and I came to an agreement on price and the amp has been with me a few days.
It needed a good scrub and freshen up.
Good new is there were no melted wires and most of it is original, including two nice Mullard ECC83s. The chassis corner straightened easily and I had to drill and bolt the weld with a couple of 6BAs rather than lose all the paint. I had a lamp cover already and had a new panel made up. Had to superglue the big paint flakes down but it is stable now. The chassis brackets have their captive nuts rattling around loose.
Faults so far: signs of arcing between HT and heater on one of the octals, a couple of 100k cc resistors replacing a 220k on the loop. That gaffa tape was two 16uF 450v in series on the PI.
Now I need to whip the big electrolytic cans out, warm them up, dry them off (bit like old honey in a jar) and try a reform them back to spec, replace the odd resistors and the socket. Then I will do running tests.
Then I will post some pics and maybe some clips. Shame I have to work this weekend and off to Dublin next week.