INFO ON THIS OLD COMBO

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

cygnusvismund

Post by cygnusvismund » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm

I just picked this old combo up and here are some shots of it, wondering if its all original especially the speaks. it makes funny noises when i play through it, i think it needs new tubes and biasing and possibly caps and what not. it has sovtek power tubes in it, which is horrible in my opinion and electro harmonix pre amp tubes. anyways I appriciate the help!!! also the sixth pic down, whats that input?

ORANGE OTR 80
ORANGE 4X12 VINTAGE 30
ORANGE OR 80 COMBO 1972
SUNN MODEL T
SOUND CITY 120
SOUND CITY 4X12
FENDER BASSMAN TEN
FENDER SUPER REVERB
AMPEG V4
AMPEG 15 INCH FLIPTOP
79 JAZZMASTER
KRAMER DMZ ALUMINUM
FULLTONE BASSDIRVE
EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN
EH MICRO SYNTH
EH GRAPHIC FUZZ
EH SMALL STONE
PEAVEY ROAD MASTER HEAD

BASS

SUNN MODEL T
AGUILAR 8X10
SUNN 2X15
FENDER MUSICMASTER X2
78 IBANEZ BLACK EAGLE
FULLTONE BASS DRIVE
AMPEG BASS BIN V4B 2X15 (FOR SALE)

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:16 am

It's tough to say about the speakers, as Orange did use a number of different speakers over the years. Though those look like cast frame baskets. Fane would be the only company I know of that they used who would've had cast frames, but those don't appear to be Fanes. I can't say for sure, but i'd bet on them being replacements.

Have the amp looked at. "Funny noises" is obviously pretty non-descript. But there are some problems that can lead to more damage if not fixed. Throw some SED EL34's in it, and some decent pre-amp tubes of your choice. FWIW, all the 70's Oranges i've seen with laydown transformers have non-adjustable fixed bias circuit (no bias pot). So don't let anyone take you for a ride and charge you for a bias job (EDIT: unless they're actually changing resistors to make the amp run hotter). Check the amp for a bias pot first. It probably doesn't have one. Also, the ~'73 circuit that is equated with the laydowns is a great sounding circuit, one of the best years for vintage Oranges, IMO.

Oh, and the jack on the center of the back side is the slave out jack. It's meant to connect the head to a slave power amp. Unless you're going to use the amp with a slave head, don't mess with it.

Congrads on the amp. Snap some pics under the hood if you want to know more about it. The replaced fuse holder and that sticker on the back let's you know that it's been worked on at some point.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

cygnusvismund

Post by cygnusvismund » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:09 am

I WAS PLAYING IT TO SHOW SOMEONE THE NOISE AND NO SOUND WOULD COME OUT JUST SOME SUBTLE CLICKING AND THEN NOTHING HAPPENED AND THE NOW IT WONT EVEN TURN ON. I THINK I MAY HAVE SCREWED IT OVER, GREAT!!!! THERE ARE NO GOOD AMO TECHS AROUND HERE, THIS IS s---TY. ANYWAY THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. SO YOU THINK THOSE SPEAKERS ARE NOT ORIGINAL?? CAUSE I THINK THEY ARE VINTAGE, I LOVE FANES, BUT WHAT DID THESE COME LOADED WITH? GREENBACKS? OR BLACK BACKS PER SAY?
ORANGE OTR 80
ORANGE 4X12 VINTAGE 30
ORANGE OR 80 COMBO 1972
SUNN MODEL T
SOUND CITY 120
SOUND CITY 4X12
FENDER BASSMAN TEN
FENDER SUPER REVERB
AMPEG V4
AMPEG 15 INCH FLIPTOP
79 JAZZMASTER
KRAMER DMZ ALUMINUM
FULLTONE BASSDIRVE
EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN
EH MICRO SYNTH
EH GRAPHIC FUZZ
EH SMALL STONE
PEAVEY ROAD MASTER HEAD

BASS

SUNN MODEL T
AGUILAR 8X10
SUNN 2X15
FENDER MUSICMASTER X2
78 IBANEZ BLACK EAGLE
FULLTONE BASS DRIVE

Rally Car
Orange Expert

Post by Rally Car » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm

Looks like you have an early 70's combo... THe speakers are not original... The amp would have come with Eminance or Celestion speakers.... Or some have been seen with Fanes... Those speakers dont look like any of the above.... I would guess the amp dates to around 1972-1973... Because of the OA in the serial number on the back pannel and because of the lay down transformers and PCB mounted 12ax7 tubes... The Pix only amps usually came with these features.... I would guess this is an early pix and text amp. Get it properly checked out as they are very rare and worth quite a bit of $$$$

Rubbersoul
Rocker

Post by Rubbersoul » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:20 pm

Nice amp! i've the same

cygnusvismund

Post by cygnusvismund » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 am

ok so what speakers should i get to make it original?? I hope nothing major has happened to it!! thanks a mill!!
ORANGE OTR 80
ORANGE 4X12 VINTAGE 30
ORANGE OR 80 COMBO 1972
SUNN MODEL T
SOUND CITY 120
SOUND CITY 4X12
FENDER BASSMAN TEN
FENDER SUPER REVERB
AMPEG V4
AMPEG 15 INCH FLIPTOP
79 JAZZMASTER
KRAMER DMZ ALUMINUM
FULLTONE BASSDIRVE
EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN
EH MICRO SYNTH
EH GRAPHIC FUZZ
EH SMALL STONE
PEAVEY ROAD MASTER HEAD

BASS

SUNN MODEL T
AGUILAR 8X10
SUNN 2X15
FENDER MUSICMASTER X2
78 IBANEZ BLACK EAGLE
FULLTONE BASS DRIVE

cygnusvismund

Post by cygnusvismund » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rubbersoul</i>
<br />Nice amp! i've the same
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

hey rubbersoul what speaks are in yours if there origianl??
ORANGE OTR 80
ORANGE 4X12 VINTAGE 30
ORANGE OR 80 COMBO 1972
SUNN MODEL T
SOUND CITY 120
SOUND CITY 4X12
FENDER BASSMAN TEN
FENDER SUPER REVERB
AMPEG V4
AMPEG 15 INCH FLIPTOP
79 JAZZMASTER
KRAMER DMZ ALUMINUM
FULLTONE BASSDIRVE
EH DELUXE MEMORY MAN
EH MICRO SYNTH
EH GRAPHIC FUZZ
EH SMALL STONE
PEAVEY ROAD MASTER HEAD

BASS

SUNN MODEL T
AGUILAR 8X10
SUNN 2X15
FENDER MUSICMASTER X2
78 IBANEZ BLACK EAGLE
FULLTONE BASS DRIVE

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:34 am

JBL Lansing speakers were an option in the old catalogues...maybe its a set of JBLs?

check the fuse! if the amps doesn't turn on its probably the fuse...the you will have to change the big green Elkos...they are nearly 30years old...so... and new tubes and it should run...

or search a good tech

Rubbersoul
Rocker

Post by Rubbersoul » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cygnusvismund</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rubbersoul</i>
<br />Nice amp! i've the same

hey rubbersoul what speaks are in yours if there origianl??

I don't think they are original because my combo seems to be from 1976/1977 and the G12h30'code inside seem to be from 1973. These old combos were launded with G12h30 or G12m25, greenback/blackback/whiteback

I'm not a speakers expert i don't what kind of speakers you have in your combo.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:45 pm

I live out in the country myself and know how difficult it can be to find a good tech, but I did manage to find one through Ted Weber's website though I had to drive about 45 minutes to get to him (which I have to do for most things anyway). The other you could do is call Orange USA or Orange UK directy and see if they can help you locate a decent tech in your area. Good luck!
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact