1970s Orange 4x12 cab speakers

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi all!
I wonder if anyone can help me - I recently bought an old Orange 4x12 cab (serial no 2459 which I believe dates it early 1970s). To my surprise though it is loaded with Goodmans Audiom 12P speakers (date stamped Dec 1974) - does anyone know if Orange ever used Goodmans speakers? Or do you reckon they've been changed?

The fittings all look original and the speakers fit exactly on the bolts, so they look like the original drivers but I thought Orange only used Celestions!

Many thanks!
Zx

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm

It's interesting to open up 70's Orange cabs and see what's inside. In the US, the cabs either had Celestions or Eminence- a lot of times Eminence since it was cheaper and lighter to ship an unloaded cab from the UK and then load it up here.

Likewise, I've heard of Fanes being used, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear of Goodman's being in there. I think back in the day, you could order an Orange cab loaded with whatever you wanted. My guess would be that that is how your cab was ordered....

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:36 pm

Hi bclaire! Many thanks for your response. I've just seen another 1970s Orange 4x12 (on ebay) with identical Goodmans 12P speakers so I'm now pretty sure they are originals. Cheers, Zx.