Your Vintage Orange Amplifier

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

push pull

Post by push pull » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 pm

I could use some help dating this one. I have seen a picture of what I thought was the same one, but it didn't have the four screws on the front plate. Thanks for any help. Let me know what other pictures you might need and I will get them for you.

push pull

Post by push pull » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:44 pm

1971... guess i answered my own question. the number 472 is all over the place also.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by push pull</i>
<br />1971... guess i answered my own question. the number 472 is all over the place also.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />Seems like the Orange field guide is down at the moment. Are you sure it's from '71. I didn't think Orange made their own amps that early..?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

push pull

Post by push pull » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by push pull</i>
<br />1971... guess i answered my own question. the number 472 is all over the place also.
<br />Seems like the Orange field guide is down at the moment. Are you sure it's from '71. I didn't think Orange made their own amps that early..?

I'm not sure someone was saying it was an ORS 100 on another site, but from what I have gathered the ORS only had 2 EL84's and I have 4 so i'm pretty sure it's a or120. It looks exactly like the 71' OR120 from the 71 catalogs.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am

The Field Guide is indeed down. Hope it'll reappear somewhere. Have posted a ? for Geert over at the Plexi Palace forum.

Meanwhile, the Orange timeline is still online. :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by push pull</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by push pull</i>

I'm not sure someone was saying it was an ORS 100 on another site, but from what I have gathered the ORS only had 2 EL84's and I have 4 so i'm pretty sure it's a or120. It looks exactly like the 71' OR120 from the 71 catalogs.
<br />
There has never been an Orange model called ORS, nor one with two EL-84:s. Though mine is called OR ST with two EL-34:s, but that's an Orange Matamp.

Yes, you're right. It's probably as early as '71. Weren't those called GRO100..?
David

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:56 pm

No ORS? Take it you didn't check the link I gave above David...?

Andy.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br />No ORS? Take it you didn't check the link I gave above David...?

Andy.
<br />
But the timeline is full of errors. It doesn't prove they do exist. Has anyone seen one?
David

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />
Has anyone seen one?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yep. Quick search here:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... hTerms=ors
http://utenti.lycos.it/orariocontinuato/orangepic.jpg

Andy.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:11 pm

OK, that one picture proves it. :oops:
It doesn't look different from the GRO though.

Does it really has only two EL84:s?
That wouldn't give more than 15-20 watts..?
David

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Look what I found again, via Google:
Orange Amps Field Guide

(Can't seem to get the PP forum right now but thats another matter... ;))

You're right David, they are EL34 amps. :)

Andy.

ORANGEfanatic07
Tiny Terror

Post by ORANGEfanatic07 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 am

i envy you, bclair! tell me, how did you begin to afford all of that?! blows my mind!
Tiny Terror, B-52 LS412A

Yamaha RGS-121 drop-tuned to A

Big Muff, Metal Muff, BOSS DS-1

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ORANGEfanatic07</i>
<br />i envy you, bclair! tell me, how did you begin to afford all of that?! blows my mind!

been at it for a while... bought my OR80 head and the two 4X12's when prices weren't so crazy... $400 each for the cabs and $350 for the head.

A lot more for most of the rest....

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah not that long ago you could walk into a used music shop near me and pick up a vintage orange head or even a Matamp for £250, this was about 1999. I remember seeing loads that weren't shifting. I had my pick. I bought myself a Matamp GT120 for that price. Though I sold it not that long after buying it for the same price. I thought just having my Orange was enough at the time. That was stupid, very stupid. I'd give anything for that amp again.

I got news that the Orange Amp book might be released at Musikmesse in march now. Can't wait.

I also know something that some of you really want to know and I'm not telling. :)

muscmp

Post by muscmp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:05 am

i was at NAMM last friday and spoke to a gentleman at the Orange booth. he indicated that the book would be out in about 2 weeks. we'll have to wait and see.