Vintage Orange Parts

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

pollenrocker

Post by pollenrocker » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:33 pm

I have an old Orange slave amp and I would kind of like to know some imformation about it, like possibly how old, I get back with the serial number. But the main thing is what's missing from it, it words but does this amp usually have a power switch and or stanby or anything else. Take a look and get back to me if you could.

Thanks,
Paul
[email protected]

www.angelfire.com/rock3/chiprock/amp.html<font face='Courier New'></font id='Courier New'>

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:45 am

The Angelfire link came-up but no picture or other related info
came up- probably my antique computer.

In general, Orange amps have no standby switch. This is also true
of Hi Watt- a comtemporary British amp. As these amps use a solid state rectifier it seems at first glance like a sure case of cathode stripping likely to happen. Perhaps they were designed for the really
hairy Bristish tubes available when they were built. Do seem to retube
a lot of them that use 3rd World modern tubes lately. A standby switch is a do-able mod.

Have seen Slave outputs on many vintage Orange and Matamp units, but
have yet to see a Slave amp. I assume it's just a power section.

At a minimum- what's the tube compliment in this thing?

-Jon
[email protected]

pollenrocker

Post by pollenrocker » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:33 am

Hello everyone here is the site you should look at I took some more pictures of the amp. I would like to see if anyone could possibly give me an idea of how much it is worth also, that would be great just email me at [email protected] and here is the site. Oh it has 4 KT 88s and 2 ECC 82s.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/chiprock/amp/index.html

Check it out

Thanks,

Paul

geertjacobs

Post by geertjacobs » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:55 pm

I must say I've never seen this kind of Orange Slave.
Only the bass amps use KT88s (6550s) as far as I know. Usually the slave amps have EL34s. So maybe this is some kind of a bass slave amp. The bass amps are rated 200Watts, so most likely this amp has 200 Watts too.

A picture of the face plate and the serial numbers(of cabinet and chassis) would be a great help...

G.

http://www.geocities.com/geertjacobs/orange_page.htm

pollenrocker

Post by pollenrocker » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:35 pm

The serial number can be seen in the second side picture #326 the other number shows when the amp was made December 21, 1971 and it also shows the signature of the guy who built or wired it.

geertjacobs

Post by geertjacobs » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:14 pm

Someone at www.plexipalace.com thought it was a poweramp for night clubs. So that would make it a kind of hifi power amp.
Orange amps didn't have standby switches in the early stages.

Do you happen to have a picture of the front? I'm really curious :-)

G.

http://www.geocities.com/geertjacobs/orange_page.htm

pollenrocker

Post by pollenrocker » Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:18 pm

Ok I have posted the pictures of the Front of the amp, there really is nothing on it. There is what looks like a plug in the middle of it that would fit a tube and on the left of the picture it looks like a power chord of some sort may have been used, I'm not really sure because the power socket is on the other side. If anyone is interested in making an offer to buy this amp just email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Paul