orange overdrive or-120m

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

domi-bot

Post by domi-bot » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:03 pm

hi again, friendly people of this forum!
i got my amp back from the guy who fiexed it and now i've got another question:
as i still don't have a stand-by switch, could anyone tell me the exact procedure of switching the amp on without doing more harm than neccesary?

edit: one more thing: what exactly is the difference between the "hi" and "lo" input?

thanks!

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Dont worry about standby switchs or a lack of them on old Oranges. Just switch the thing on! ;)

The Hi and Lo inputs are supposed to be for using different impedance pickups ie single coild and humbuckers. Everyone seems to plug into the Hi input anyway.

Belford
Tiny Terror

Post by Belford » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
The Hi and Lo inputs are supposed to be for using different impedance pickups ie single coild and humbuckers. Everyone seems to plug into the Hi input anyway.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yup, that's right. I tend to use the Lo input when playing at low volumes or with a distortion pedal that might take away too much of the bass frequencies when playing on the hi input. Otherwise I use the Hi input too..

Btw Simon, how does that Ibanez TS-7 work with your NMV OR120? I have one of these cheap, older Ibanez distortion pedals, which sounds quite good @ low volume levels. TS-5 I think. Been thinking about getting the new one for home use.

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:28 pm

I've never tried it to be honest. Its been a while since i cranked up my Orange. I'm going to install a PPIMV to it at some point so i'll let you know. I liked my TS7 so much that i sold my vintage BOSS oD1.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br />Dont worry about standby switchs or a lack of them on old Oranges. Just switch the thing on! ;)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Right! But it is a good idea to always check the speaker cable is properly connected and the impedance is set right. I do that as a routine before powering up - saves any possible expensive blow ups.

And once the amp <i>is</i> on I'd just leave it on until finished with it for the night. Honestly, you'll wear the valves way more by putting them through unnecessary heat cycles by switching on and off several times. Also once nice and hot the amps sound gets even better - strange but true! ;)

If your amp has a standby switch then fine, use it. If not I really honestly wouldn't worry about it. Some of my amps have, some haven't. No big deal. The worst thing you can do though is switching a valve amp off and on too often, or especially too quickly. (I wouldn't even do that with a standby switch to be honest. Half an hour or more okay, but for just a few minutes break - no point!)

After soundchecking your OR or if taking a break just pull the instrument jack out of the input* and let it hang from one of the 'roll bars'. Or turn the volume down if you want to. But either way strong valves won't suffer unduly from not going to standby when sitting idle.

* Use whichever input sounds best to you! Only difference is that there is a 'pad' on one to lower the signal strength. For bass I use the lo one to get something vaguely resembling a bit of clean headroom. For guitar the hi one is usually more fun... [:p]

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:44 am

anybody know any online stores or sellers that have a used orange head or combo for sale? It's really hard to find one used over here in canada. I currently have an Orange 2X12 which is getting no use as I'm playing through a 70s Fender Super Reverb. Used to have a tiny terror but I sold it and I'm really missing that orange tone. can't afford a new one at he moment :(
ImageImage

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sesroh</i>
<br />anybody know any online stores or sellers that have a used orange head or combo for sale? It's really hard to find one used over here in canada. I currently have an Orange 2X12 which is getting no use as I'm playing through a 70s Fender Super Reverb. Used to have a tiny terror but I sold it and I'm really missing that orange tone. can't afford a new one at he moment :(
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Start searching online. Your best bet in Canada is ebay really. It's all going to be hit or miss- you stand a better chance of finding something yourself by searching for music stores online... but ebay has a lot usually. And you'll really get a sense of what you'll be paying by following ebay auctions...