OR-120 Head

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Carles

Post by Carles » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:07 am

Hello everybody! I'm a "new nember"! I had a Rickenbacker bass and I was using a crapy Amplifer untill last week that I bought a second hand OR-120 head.
I would love to date it, so if anyone can help me with that.
The serial number is: 10440, tho in the black metal piece with the name of the brand appears tne nº4990.

Thanks in advance!

By the way: I appologize for my english, I am from Barcelona and my level is poor...

User
Orange Hero

Post by User » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:21 am

Its alright, your English is probably better than mine!
Unfortunately Orange never kept records of their serial numbers and they go in no specific order, so it is near imposable to get an accurate date.
But if you can post pictures of you OR-120, then we'll be able to get a date range for you!

Dave
Dave

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:29 am

Hi Carles!

Sorry, but it's hard to date them just by serial number - Orange don't seem to have kept good records years ago.
What you can do is check out this site, and try to find as much as you can from there:
http://users.pandora.be/geertjacobs/orange_page.htm

You can also look back at old posts here, and see if that helps you. Also if you are able to post pictures here then that helps us get closer to the real date.

I use my Overdrive 120 head for bass, and find it's great for that. What sort of speaker cab will you be using with it?

Don't worry about your English - it's just fine!
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Carles

Post by Carles » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:04 pm

Thank you so much, guys, for your help.
I'm going to chek this site that yiou suggest, Andy; and by the way the cab that I'm using is like a hand made, made by a music store's owner wich they are, as well, manofacturers (C.M.B) they use to manufacture copies of marshall for the spaniards in the sixties.
The cab has only one big speaker, probably this is not the best cab that I could use but, it sounds great with the Rickenbacker.

Of course I'm gonna take some pictures of the amp and I will put them here for you to try & help me

THANK YOU again

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:56 pm

Look forward to those pics of your new amp.
About the cab. Be careful that it will in fact handle the power output of the Orange. Do you know what the 'one big speaker' in it really is? To be safe when running the amp really loudly you will really need something with well over 120w power handling - best 200watts or more! Also make sure that you set the impedance selector on the back of the amp to match the resistance ('ohms') of the speaker, or the amp really won't like it! (If you're not sure, it would be safest to have a look inside the cab and see what it says on the back of the loudspeaker itself.)
Good luck!
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.