Just got my paws on this little beauty...

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

heck

Post by heck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 am

And it sounds incredible.

OR80 (upgraded to OR120) Serial No: 10613 Type 4571. As far as I'm aware that makes it sometime around 1973. I'm just over the moon with this amp. It's made such a difference to my sound. Absolutely chuffed!

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:38 am

Hey man, is that the one off Ebay UK recently? Thats a nice amp. Few replaced components but nothing major.

heck

Post by heck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:58 am

It certainly is. Are you the same Simon who's comments were added to the listing?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:02 pm

Nice amp- I was watching that one myself....

heck

Post by heck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm toying with the idea of giving it a bit of a facelift. Can anyone suggest the best way to clean it up? Is it worth replacing the outer layer material (tolex is it?) and if so can, can anyone suggest where to get my hands on some? Cheers.

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes it was me. Thats a really nice amp and it needs nothing doing to it. A retolex will likely decrease its value. Old amps should wear their battle scars with pride. Most of those rips and tears and stains will have stories attached, mojo. All it needs is maybe some good tubes and a good bias and thats it.

If you want new tolex, you'd get it from Orange. I wouldnt do it though. It would kill the mojo.

heck

Post by heck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:15 pm

Think you may be right there mate. Just been taking a closer look at it tonight. It's certainly seen some action, and is gonna go through a ****load more in 2007 (fingers crossed). Kinda adds to the charm of it. one thing I am gonna do is get a decent case / cover for it. Keep it warm during those cold nights on the M1 ;-)

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:02 pm

Man, those old amps will last and last. Just make sure the electrolytics are ok. Check for bulging and leaking every so often if you are putting it to regular use.

Most important is to enjoy it! What tubes does it have in at the moment? I have a Mullard ecc83 in the first pre-amp socket and a Mullard cv4024 in the PI. The power tubes are some mad mis mash of tubes - teonex, mazda and unbranded. Sounds good though.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:48 pm

Nice score.

Looks like the 100mfd can caps have been replaced, as well as the .068mfd phase inverter coupling caps. Strange to see a removable power cord, though maybe it's a replacement. Those look like the old Parkemo transformers too.

Make sure you're running that amp at the right impedance. It looks like that was one of the ones that left the factory with the impedance selector re-labelled to account for the amp being an OR-80 (they used the same output transformers in the 80's and 120's). If there's any doubt about how that selector is wired up, snap a close-up pic of it and we'll see what we can do to make sure you're running it on the right setting.

Congrads again on the amp...i'm sure you'll love it! These are simply some of the best sounding amps on the planet.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

DAVESOUNDS
Rocker

Post by DAVESOUNDS » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:56 pm

I agree
looks like the main smoothing caps have been changed
hopefully the 2 bias caps also and the first 2
on the ht end of the pcb
My only reservation ......
The Hum shield missing that useually covers the
2 input jacks and the FAC tone selector switch
shouldnt be a prob to make one though

cheers

DAVESOUNDS

paxthemixx

Post by paxthemixx » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi!

Very, very nice piece!!!!!:)
I'm from Austria and just on the way to look for something equal!!!
Hopefully heard, that a guy not far away has some - hold your thumbs for me that it is real!!! He will be back from holydays in a few days and I'm really nervous to get it!![:p]

Lucky to be member since a few days

Keep rocking ---- paxi

paxthemixx

Post by paxthemixx » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:15 pm

oh-sorry - not so holy!!!

I certainly meant holidays:D

Yours groovily - paxi

[/quote]

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paxthemixx</i>
<br />oh-sorry - not so holy!!!

I certainly meant holidays:D

Yours groovily - paxi<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not so far wrong paxi. The word does come from 'holy days' originally according to my handy dictionary.

Good luck with finding yourself that nice old Orange! :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

heck

Post by heck » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out all the ohmage / valve malarky and get back to you. Been too busy blasting the thing to open her up! Shoulda got myself one of these years ago.

Good luck with your search paxthemixx. You won't regret it.

paxthemixx

Post by paxthemixx » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks a lot Andy! Failed my first two chances but I'm still on the run!

Yours rockily and good luck also for you --- paxi