Tone Loss, Need Help

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:04 pm

I have an AD30TCH. When I plug one 16ohm PPC212 cabinet into the 16 ohm out, the tone is full and balanced with decent bottom end. When I daisy chain two 16ohm PPC212 cabinets into one 8ohm out, there is a remarkable loss of tone. The two cabs together sound extremly bright with no bottom end whatsoever. I tryed adjusting the eq to make up for this tone loss/change, but that doesn't help. Would any body please explain why this tone loss is happening? Thanks!

DAVESOUNDS
Rocker

Post by DAVESOUNDS » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Hiya from uk!
If your sound go,s lacking in bass my suggestion is to check the polarity of your Loudspeaker leads.
Its important when useing 2 cabinets that the actual loudspeakers
in the cabinets all move in the same direction at the sme time!
IE they are working in phase.
if one of your leads has an accidental reversal in it one of the cabs will be pushing when the other cabs speakers are pulling
this is known as out of phase and results in a horrible flat lifeless sound....
first check your cables tip to tip/sheath to sheath to ensure they are wired "straight"....then start looking at your cabs..
please let me know how you go on...
Davesounds uk

davesounds

http://groups.msn.com/matamP

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:04 pm

dave,

i did just that and found out that one cabinet was wired opposite the other, and corrected the wiring. thank you for your expert advice!

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:14 pm

after my sound check after the repair, that indeed was the problem! full tone restored! now, Dave, i have another question for you:

which is the best speaker cabinet connection to the head? (my head has 1 16ohm out and 2 8ohm outs)

1) daisy chain the two 16ohm cabs and plug into one 8ohm out?

2) plug each cab separately into both 8 ohm outs?

thanks!