AD200 bass speaker outlets

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

zefarelly

Post by zefarelly » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:03 pm

the amp has 3 outputs, 1 x 8 ohm and 2 x 4 ohm
the orange cab is 4x10 and 8 ohm
I also have a laney 4x10 4 ohm

can I run both at the same time without frazzing anything expensive (to spread the sound across the stage basically)

anyone know?

Joe Zefarelly
Joe Zefarelly

bassclef29

Post by bassclef29 » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:07 pm

Joe,

By my calculations, wiring those 2 cabinets (one 8 ohm, one 4 ohm)in parallel drops your resistance to 2.67 ohms. DON'T wire them up that way to your 8-ohm output. Your total speaker impedance should be equal to (or more than) your amp's output impedance.

IF the 2x4ohm outputs represent a 2-ohm impedance then you're fine...BUT I don't know if they do or not, since I don't own an AD200B. ASK ORANGE!!

However, assuming the 2x4ohm outputs are really a 2-ohm output, the 4-ohm cabinet will suck most of the power away from the 8-ohm cabinet (path of least resistance).

To repeat, your total speaker load must be at least as great as your output impedance. Any time your load impedance is lower than your output impedance, you risk your amp's frying itself.

I suppose you'd like to know if the outputs are somehow SEPARATE outputs, in which case you could attach the 8-ohm load to the 8-ohm output and the 4-ohm load to one of the 4-ohm outputs. My advice is, don't count on it...

If you connect the cabinets in series rather than parallel, you could have (hypothetically) a 12-ohm load, in which case you could connect to the 8-ohm output without damaging anything. However, I can't see the point of rewiring the cabinets in this way. My suggestion would be to trade the Laney 4-ohm cabinet for an 8-ohm cabinet, which would solve your impedance-matching problem.

How do you like the AD200B? I use a Marshall VBA400 into a Matamp 4x10, and I love it! I considered the Orange, but they're very pricey and hard to get where I live, in California, USA.

tiara

Post by tiara » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:36 pm

Yeah, How does this bass head sound? The problem w/orange is that they are so expensive and no one carries them so you can't even try one out if you haven't played on before!

zefarelly

Post by zefarelly » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:43 pm

tiara, I know the problem, when I started looking for new ( igave up looking for old stuff) I was told they where pretty much made to order and there was a 6 month waiting list. I found one at a dealers abot 200 miles from me, and bought it untried and unseen. Fortunately it sounds bloody fantastic, and looks as good too.

re-speakers, I used the slave out to run my old laney 150 transistor amp and 4x10, as well as the orange, it helped spread the sound out for an outside gig on the beach, but you couldnt hear it properly as the orange was way above it, in every respect. ran both pretty much flat out (undistorted) for 2 hours, no problem.

Joe Zefarelly
Joe Zefarelly