12AX7 or 12AU7

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

fernantzeste

Post by fernantzeste » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:53 pm

Hi,

I am about to buy an orange AD30 and was wondering what would be the best way to increase clean headroom on a single channel head or combo...

12au7 tubes could do the trick I think.

I read a review on harm. centr. of someone who replaced both 12ax7 on the first channel into 12au7 and he claims the clean headroom is wonderfull now.

I need clean headroom... will 12au7's solve this issue? or should I buy another amp?

F.Z.

F.Z.
F.Z.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:57 pm

I'll see if I can help out...

Any amp loaded with EL-84's isn't going to have a ton of headroom, any way you slice it. You can try a 12AU-7 in the phase inverter postion. It'll give you a bit more headroom, but not a huge increase. I'd personlly put it there instead of the first position. You'll hit the power tubes a bit less and they won't break up quite as much. Not a big change, but if all you need is a little more clean power, it may help you out.

That being said...For what it's worth, tube amps aren't pristine clean machines. They're imperfect, inefficient, and un-balanced. But that's why they sound so good. Don't get discouraged with the amp if it has a tad less headroom than you want. I bet your ears get used to it pretty fast, and cleaner tones sound sterile and flat after a little while.

On the other hand, if you're playing with a loud drummer, and the AD-30 simply can't keep up volumewise. Maybe you need an amp with some more power (and a cleaner tone at the same volumes).

Hope that helps.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

fernantzeste

Post by fernantzeste » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:28 pm

Thanks Nick!

Now I just have to decide if i'll take an AD30H or an AD30HTC...
The first costs 1100 dollars in europe, the second 1150...
50 dollars for an extra channel seems way to cool to pass up on?

The single channel looks cooler to me with the big knobs...

F

F.Z.
F.Z.

Iron Man
Tiny Terror

Post by Iron Man » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:37 am

i put 12at7 nos military grade mullards in my ad30tch first channel. and yes it cleaned things up considerably. but headroom, not much to speak of. the el84 breaks up too early no matter what you do. i would look at a 6l6 based amp for the best headroom ceiling.