AD30TC channel switching madness!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

hw2nw

Post by hw2nw » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:34 pm

I just got a beautiful AD30TC and I'm in the studio this week with it. It was working fine for a bit until yesterday.

When I switch channels sometimes (not all the time), channel 2 sounds fine but channel 1 drops to almost no sound at all. I can still switch back to channel 2 and it sounds great. Sometimes channel 1 works for a while and then cuts out if I switch to channel 2 and back again. When I take the footswitch out and just flip the channel switches it seems to work fine. And it's definitely not the footswitch...I've tried 5 different ones. It's a tad frustrating as I just got my Orange, but I need to fix it ASAP for guitar tracking.

Can somebody lend me their Orange knowledge? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

-A. Capra
-A. Capra

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:54 pm

It seems as if this is a common probelm on the AD30 twin channel. A few others on this board including myself have discussed it here before. I think it's due to the relay in these amps that does the actual channel switching. It seems to be heat-related, so try to keep the amp cool and the problem might go away. I say "might" because my amp cut out once at night and outdoors (where it was cool). I haven't had problems myself for a while, so I haven't thought about it much. It seemed to have gone a way by itself. I did try and email orange about it, but I got no response.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:54 pm

It seems as if this is a common probelm on the AD30 twin channel. A few others on this board including myself have discussed it here before. I think it's due to the relay in these amps that does the actual channel switching. It seems to be heat-related, so try to keep the amp cool and the problem might go away. I say "might" because my amp cut out once at night and outdoors (where it was cool). I haven't had problems myself for a while, so I haven't thought about it much. It seemed to have gone a way by itself. I did try and email orange about it, but I got no response.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's

hw2nw

Post by hw2nw » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:02 pm

so this isn't a bad tube, it's a bad channel-switching relay? Is that something I can easily get repaired?

thanks

-A. Capra
-A. Capra

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:57 pm

I'm not exactly 100% sure it's a relay problem, but that's the consensus of some of us on this board. I don't think it's a bad tube because everybody has this problem with switching to the clean channel, so it must be in the switching mechanism. I can't help you as far as getting it fixed. I've never tried to contact Orange, but others here have and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Does your amp still do this? Or is it an intermitent problem?
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's

hw2nw

Post by hw2nw » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:23 pm

my amp only does this after being on for multiple hours and does this every now and then. It could be some kind of overheating thing because it works most of the time and then cuts out. It seems to work just fine manually switching on the front of the amp, but cuts out with the footswitch.

If I can locate the problem, then getting this amp fixed hopefully would cost much less.

thanks

-A. Capra
-A. Capra

orangello
Tiny Terror

Post by orangello » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:57 am

I had the exact same channel switching problem with my AC30TC combo. Orange's customer service has been excellent in helping me - we followed the procedure of trying new tubes, sending the amp (under warranty) out for repairs, and now I'm waiting for the next shipment of AD30TC's to arrive in April for my replacement...if you figure out how to repair the problem, please post here. Thanks.