AD30HTC StockTubes...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Matt_plan-R

Post by Matt_plan-R » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:13 am

What kind of 12AX7 tubes does orange put in stock?
Svetlana, Svotek, EH?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:40 pm

I think they're Ruby tubes actually....

Matt_plan-R

Post by Matt_plan-R » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Anyone prefer another brand to the stock Ruby's?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I think they're Ruby tubes actually....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

saf_1

Post by saf_1 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:08 am

Ruby isn't actually a brand - they are a re-seller, who market another maufacturer's brand under their name, after checking the tubes for consistency - kind of like Groove Tubes. Typically I think the Ruby's are either Sovtek, or some kind of Chinese 12ax7's. I like to buy a brand - not a re-sellers name... which they gouge you extra for, and you still don't know what you're getting, except that they've tested the tubes for consistency, then put their name on them. And these days practically EVERYBODY tests their tubes before the sell them, so you don't need to pay extra for that. Anyway, I'm getting on a soapbox. The 12ax7's (currently in production) that I like best and use in my own AD30TC, are either the EH (Electro Harmonix) or the EI Gold Elite (with gold pins) 12ax7's. Both very nice tubes. The newer JJ 12ax7as's (make sure the "s" is appended) are not bad either. Check out Triode Electronics or Revolution Guitar (you can find them both on the web, for good prices on these tubes). Todd at Revoution Guitar, sells a lot of tubes on Ebay, so you might want to check there.