power break With AD30R combo

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

face990

Post by face990 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Does anyone know how i can use a power break with a combo to get that cranked up amp sound at lower volumes?
I love the sound when the amp is cranked up but the volume is a little to high and i was wondering how i could use a power break or simillar device to bring down the volume without losing too much tone!

tluxtele

Post by tluxtele » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:12 pm

i've never used one but i assume if it's like every other attenuator that it goes between the amp and the speaker. so you would unplug the speaker from the amp. plug the amp to the powerbreak and then the powerbreak to the speaker. it's the same concept as when you have a head and a cab. and if you don't already have the power break, you might want to look into a weber mass. they are cheaper and are more transparent from the reviews i've read.

clean as a whistle
clean as a whistle

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:14 am

To add to the post above...

I don't own an AD-30, so i'm not sure how the speakers are connected physically. It seems like you're wondering about how to connect the attenuator physically to the amp and speakers.

Some combos have the speakers hardwired to the amp, and some have speaker cables soldered to the speaker terminals.

If your speakers are hard wired, you need to either get some parts and some soldering skills. Or find someone to do it for you. If you've got a cable and plug already attached to them, just plug it into the output of the attenuator and plug a cable from the input to the output of the amp, you're good to go.

I also recommend the Weber Mass, or the THD Hotplate, or the Dr Z Airbrake over the Marshall powerbrake.

I've heard too many nightmare stories about the Powerbrake ruining peoples' amps. I won't even let one of those things near my heads. The other units mentioned above are much safer from what i've read and learned from talking to people over the years.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI