2 heads into my orange????

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

aaronhansen

Post by aaronhansen » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:21 am

Currently I have a Marshall Jcm 2000 dsl 100. This is great for warm distortion, but the problem is that it only has one band on eq's so i can have a killer distorion, but my clean is onyl "okay". What i would like to do is get an Orange ad30 and use that for my clean and keep the marshall for distortion and control them with an Ab switch. But now to the point.....Can I run both these heads into my orange 4x12?

Thanks,
aaron

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:11 am

No, not unless you re-wire it so each head is only using 2 speakers. The Orange 4x12's aren't stereo cabs as far as I know...so you'll blow the output transformer one or both of yuor heads if you do this.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:35 am

The other thing to consider is that the Marshall will be out of phase with the Orange if you switch them both to the second channel. There's something about Marshalls in that the second channel is out of phase from the first channel. Makes them unusable with an amp like Orange that doesn't go out of phase...

tluxtele

Post by tluxtele » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:32 pm

as has been said, you don't want to plug two heads into one cab. something will go kaput. but, weber http://www.webervst.com is in the process of making a thing called a fourhead which will do exactly what you want. you can plug up to 4 heads into this device and one cab. the fourhead provides a load for the "unused" head(s) so that they don't blow up. and it allows you to switch (kind of like an ab box) between different heads going to the one cab. go to his site and see what you can find on it. it was supposed to be out months ago but there have been some delays.

clean as a whistle
clean as a whistle