Using my AD30R combo as a cab for another amp???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:45 pm

Can I do this? I've got a standalone amp head, but no cab yet... so I was thinking I could unhook the Orange amp from it's speakers within the AD30R cab, and then use it as a cab with the Orange amp turned off.... would this work? If so, anyone know if the cab is 8 or 16 ohms?

Pete

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:11 am

Yes it can be done. What ohms are you running your amp at now?

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:25 pm

Hey Meole, thanks for responding. My new amp head has 3 outs: 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm.

I checked it out last night, and the speakers in the AD30R are two 8 ohm speakers wired in series, so that should be 16 ohms... sure enough, the jack they're plugged into in the orange amp is labeled 16 ohms. Soooo.......

I gave it a try, and it worked--plugged the 1/4 inch jack from the Orange's speakers into the 16 ohm out of my new amp head.

But here's a problem I'm trying to figure out...I'm getting a lot of noise with this set up-- like 60 cycle hum, but regardless of guitars... never got it with my orange combo using the same guitars. Is there something I may be missing, or is it probably an issue with the amp? It's a handwired, point to point amp, not some cheap job. Not to say that that means anything...

Pete

Bonja2001

Post by Bonja2001 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:19 pm

Is everything shielded well? Sometimes a bad connector or shielding can cause massive noise.

(_DF_()~*
(_DF_()~*

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:12 am

What type of head are you using, and what wattage is it?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:28 am

Sounds like a ground loop. Try plugging a known good cord into the head alone without anything else going on (pedals, pedalboard, rack, etc.) and see if it still does it. Then try another outlet- you never know.

Ground loops happen when you have multiple electrical things with guitar signal going through them, ending up at one amp. One of the electronic pieces isn't going to ground- the ground is just floating around- you need to identify the piece... it's risky stuff lifting the ground of any electrical item because you run the risk of shock... but the hum/buzz from a ground loop will drive you nuts.

Make sure that your combo isn't plugged in when you run your head- obviously the head needs to be right next to the combo so if it's on, it might cause interference...

let us know how it goes.

Billy