Post by spoonman » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:31 pm

My OR 120 head has a slave out, ideally to hook up
to a different power amp. But can this also be used
like a direct or line out, without having a cabinet
connected?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:13 pm

You NEED to keep a cab connected. That Slve out jacks does not disconnect the power tubes or the output transformer, and you'll fry your output section if you run the amp without a speaker load.

Other that that, you can use it as a line out for certain applications. Just keep a speaker cab plugged in! ;)

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Bonja2001

Post by Bonja2001 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:26 pm

If you want to use the slave out without a cab AND not fry your amp, you could get a speaker emulator or dummy load. YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE OUTPUT LOADED!

(_DF_()~*
(_DF_()~*

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:23 am

no cab connected= blown output transformer= empty your wallet

These things are expensive and have to have a cabinet hooked up to them at all times except....

... when you use a speaker emulator. Marshall USED to make one that is excellent- the SE-100. They're very hard to find used because they are so good- anyone that has one doesn't want to part with it. Still, they are out there from time to time. I found one a couple of years ago. Groove Tubes makes one but it's pricey and Ted Weber makes something called the MASS which I think does the same thing.

Used Marshall SE-100's are usually in the $350- $450 price range or maybe even $500... finding one is the trick.

Billy

Edited by - bclaire on 21 Jan 2004 11:23:40

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:52 am

Correct to say you must always keep a speaker load applied to any valve amp. Be aware also though when using the slave out that it was intended for sending to the input of a slave amp. Using it directly as a DI (eg to a PA desk) can lead to an impedance mismatch.
I recall once soundchecking my 120 Overdrive, (used for bass with a Peavey 410 cab - works v. well!), which sounded fine until the local sound engineer tried to take the slave out direct to his desk. Suddenly all I heard was a distant rumble from the PA, and perhaps 20 - 40 watts only from my cab. Useless - I play fretless and have to hear exactly what I'm doing!
Answer? Well, I just unplugged him of course, and the cab filled the hall fine. But if he had thought to use an impedance matching DI box that would have done the job too...
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.