Anyone try weber speakers?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Double Tones

Post by Double Tones » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:31 am

Hi, hows' it goin'?

I want to replace the Celestion Vintage 30's in
my Orange 4-12 cabinet. One of these speakers has
been making an annoying noise and is probably a voice coil rub or something else.

After thinking it over, I don't really like these speakers much anyway. I am finding them too bright and trebely. With my Orange AD30 amp head, rated at 30 watts, these speakers take a bit to breakup and I think they might be too efficient.

For two speakers I want a smoother high end, still articulate but without the harshness and spikey transients of the v30's.

For the two other speakers I want some punchy mids and thick lows. I would like something that overdrives quicker and has an ear pleasing distortion.

I would really like a set of speakers that will let me go from jangly clean to dirty overdrive with changes in my pick attack.
The style of music I play is indie-rock.

I have heard about the weber blue dogs and silver bells as
good replacement speakers. Have any of you all tried them?
If so, which ones? Ceramic or Alnico? What wattages?....Everything you can tell me is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

tluxtele

Post by tluxtele » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:53 pm

i'm not going to be of great help to you because i only have bought one blue dog from weber. it's an alnico and i still don't know how it sounds. i bought it for a 5e3 project. i've finished the amp but not the cab. maybe in the next few weeks i can tell you what i think of the alnico blue dog.

one thing i can tell you is this, i don't know that i'll ever buy any speaker other than a weber. every speaker that i've gotten from him has been great. and the guy knows his stuff. if i were you, i would just email him your post. he is very good about recomending the right speakers for the job. and he's not going to recomend something that will cost more just for the money.

in a recent experience, i wrote him asking for a suggestion for a speaker. i built a marshall 18watter (non trem channel) in a fender pro jr. i needed a speaker. i told him what i had. i was completely willing to buy one of the high dollar speakers (a blue pup or something like that). he wrote back that i should get one of his signature series speakers. his sig series is a line that doesn't handle as many watts and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of his other speakers. therefore, they are a "cheaper" option for someone that might not have the money to buy the more expensive stuff. to be honest, i don't think that a blue pup would of had the room to shine in the little pro jr cab. it was nice to have him suggest the speaker he did. that showed me that he's not all about the money. does he want to make money? every business man does. but i don't believe he wants to if it means cheating someone.

one side note - if you get rid of your v30's, send me an email. i have a friend who is planning on getting a set some time soon. maybe he'd like yours. email is mahatma @ hotmail.com

clean as a whistle
clean as a whistle