RECTIFIER TUBES?!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

chptunes

Post by chptunes » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:58 pm

I heard that the tube rectifier is a big part of the natural harmonix and sustain of an amp...Is this true?..(ex: on the Orange AD15 or AD30)

As I'm in search of a new amp, I am reviewing candidates, with the tube rectifier and without...Should I go with the tube rectifier, or not?..(ex: the AD series, or something else)

Can the stock rectifier tube be replaced by any other rectifier tube on the market?..Or, are there different fittings and levels that have to be matched up?..(ex: with the AD15 or AD30)

Are there a wide variety of rectifier tubes that can significantly change the sound of your amp?..(ex: the AD series)

Thanks...

Edited by - chptunes on 02 Jan 2004 13:20:04

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:15 pm

Regardless of what some people may tell you, you can't <i>hear</i> the differece between a tube rectifier and a solid state rectifier. Nor can you <i>hear</i> the difference between different tube rectifiers.

What does change, however, is the <i>feel</i> of the amp. Tube rectifiers are said to have a 'saggier', more 'spongy', or 'springy' feel than a solid state rectifier. But those qualities are as much a part of the rest of an amp's design as they are what kind of rectifier the amp has.

I have a Vox AC-50 head that uses a GZ-34/5AR4, the same rectifier tube the AD-30 uses. Same as a Vox AC-30 too, which I also own. The AC-50 is tighter sounding, and sags <i>less</i> than any Marshall i've owned, all of which have/had solid state rectifiers. The AC-30 on the other hand, is the spongiest amp i've ever played.

Most of any saggy or spongy feel that the Orange AD-30 has can be attributed to the cathode biased output section more than the GZ-34. If it had a 5U4B rectifier tube, you would be able to feel sag from the rectifier. Those have a much more apparent voltage drop.

To put an end to my rambling...I wouldn't let the rectifier of an amp influence your decision any more than the rest of the amp's design. While an amp with a GZ-34 will break up a little earlier, and have a slightly softer attack than one with a solid state unit (all things being equal), i'd be more concerned with the tone of the amp as a whole.

That being said, the AD-30 is a nice sounding amp. It's most certainly not a Vox AC-30, and it's most certainly not a Marshall. It's a unique amp with it's own sonic character. Tube rectifier or not, either you dig it or you don't.

Hope that helps.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

chptunes

Post by chptunes » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:49 pm

Cool info...Thanks, Nick...

marcoo

Post by marcoo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:35 pm

Another question regarding rectifier valves: does changing rectifiers also change the <i>output</i> of the amp? I've heard of Vox AC15TB owners (great sounding amp, but very expensive for what you get) considering swapping the 5Y3 for a GZ34. This way, the power could be upped from 15 watts to 22 watts. The Orange AD15 comes with a GZ34. Is it possible to lower the output (ie volume) of the amp by replacing the rectifer with a 5Y3? So that I can dial open the amp a bit more in my bedroom.

Is this technically possible, not at all technically desirable or complete hogwash?

Your help would be much appreciated. I'm considering buying an all-valve amp, pref. class A, and of course am considering the Vox and Orange. The Orange seems much better built, better looking (not that important but still nice) and, although having less goodies (no tremolo or reverb, the latter I might miss if I buy the Orange), the price is <u>much more</u> attractive; the Vox adds almost 50% to the price. I have never played the Orange (yet), though.

Looking for an amp...
Looking for an amp...