Using another preamp with OR 120

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

boyington

Post by boyington » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:33 pm

If I want to use another preamp with the huge headroom of my OR120, would it make more sense to plug it into the echo return or into the guitar input with the settings flat? Also, what OR120 tone control settings would be considered flat? Some amp companies say the treble and bass should be at 0 and the mids at 10.???

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:45 pm

Good questions. I don't know. I would experiment- get the preamp where you want it- run it into the front of the amp- and use the amps tone controls as well to tweak the sound. Billy

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:43 pm

Plugging into the Echo return will put it in the signal chain after the tone controls and after the volume knob. Therefore none of those will have an effect on the sound. The only thing that will change the sound of it will be the HF drive knob.

If it <i>did</i> go through the tone controls though, flat would be running the bass and treble both on 5. Download the Tone stack Calculator at www.duncanamps.com . The "James" tone stack on that program is very close to the Baxandall tone stack in your Orange. You can actually change the values to match the Orange schematic and see exactly what's going on in that amp when you turn the bass and treble around.

Hope that helps.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI