Tone Controls, etc.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

boyington

Post by boyington » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:27 am

I am a new member and am very pleased that this forum exists. I recently purchased an old OR 120 and apart from the ridiculous weight of the thing, I am a happy guy. There is no manual and there are only pictures above the controls. So my questions are these:

1. Is the "fist" a hi-mid or a treble control? If treble, why two of them?
2. What exactly is the 5 position control on the left? It sounds like a mid control but, then again, the far right setting just shrinks the sound.
3. Am I correct in assuming that both speaker outputs are identical and the only control that matters re: impedance is the impedance switch?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:34 pm

1. Is the "fist" a hi-mid or a treble control? If treble, why two of them?

That's presence- basically the same as on a Marshall...

2. What exactly is the 5 position control on the left? It sounds like a mid control but, then again, the far right setting just shrinks the sound.

This is the F.A.C. control- a sweeping midrange thingy I believe changing the overall tone from bassy to trebly..

3. Am I correct in assuming that both speaker outputs are identical and the only control that matters re: impedance is the impedance switch?

Yes, that's right..

Now start doing your back exercises and welcome to the wonderful toneful world of Orange. Billy

boyington

Post by boyington » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:12 pm

Thank you Billy