AD30TC Whistle

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:52 pm

anyone come across a high pitched whistling noise coming from their Orange. I love my AD30TC but recently I have noticed this whistling on channel 2 (this was probably due to crashing my car with the Orange in the boot!).

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? does it require a service or a valve change??

Dude

Post by Dude » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:17 pm

Just a stupid question:

Do you have some effect pedals running in front of your amp?
I have the same behaviour, but only with one of my pedals in front of it.
In my case it is either the power supply of the pedal or the pedal itself. I haven't checked it yet.
But i think you have tested it anyway...
Please keep me informed with your latest informations. I'm interested in the reason of your problems.

Dude

Lizard
Rocker

Post by Lizard » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:49 pm

I was once told that on 'very rare' occasions these high pitch noises come from problems with the attachment os the Grill Cloth. When you hear the high pitch try gently holding your hand on various parts of the grill and see if it dissapears. If it does you should probably contact Orange to see what the best solution would be.
Tour Manager - Guitar Technician

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:25 pm

Dude, I do use effects in front but it still doing it direct from the guitar, so I can rule out that possible fault.

The sound is a really high pitched whistle. If I turn the amp onto standby, then on again, it goes. During a 4 hour practice session, it usually does it anything up to 4 or 5 times. Occasionally, it won't do it all night!?

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:17 pm

Is there anything nearby that maybe causing RF interference?
Bad cable shielding, T.V.'s, radios, refrigerators, .... ?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Dude, I do use effects in front but it still doing it direct from the guitar, so I can rule out that possible fault.

The sound is a really high pitched whistle. If I turn the amp onto standby, then on again, it goes. During a 4 hour practice session, it usually does it anything up to 4 or 5 times. Occasionally, it won't do it all night!?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

It does it with other guitars, I assume, and you've tried other guitar cords?

Sounds like a bad preamp tube to me. Get a pencil (or any other non-conducting type of thing) or a chopstick and tap the preamp tubes. They're the 12AX7's not the EL84's. Take the metal shields off first before you turn on the amp (otherwise they'll be hot). Turn the amp on, tap and see if it comes and goes. If that's it, just replace the preamp tube with a good quality tube. Billy

Edited by - bclaire on 02 Dec 2003 04:51:54

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:34 pm

will I be damaging the amp by using it if one of the valves is faulty? (assuming it is that)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:55 pm

not really if it's a preamp tube but the whistling will get worse and not stop...

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:00 pm

i noticed the other day at rehearsal that it doesn't do it when the amp is cold.

it tends to happen when you can feel the heat from the grill on the top.

it was quite warm because i was pushing it quite hard on full gain but with the master only at about 11 o clock. it seemed to be doing it a lot towards the end of the session as the amp started to get quite warm.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:57 pm

umm- you originally posted this on the 25th of November and you haven't tried replacing preamp tubes yet? Have you tried tapping the tubes yet?

My AD140TC has had to have the first preamp tube replaced a couple oif times now. They go- just get a good replacement and give it a go..

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:07 pm

how do i find out for sure which one it is?

i don't wanna have to buy a whole set of 4.

which preamp valves do you recommend?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:04 pm

Get a pencil (or any other non-conducting type of thing) or a chopstick and tap the preamp tubes. They're the 12AX7's not the EL84's. Take the metal shields off first before you turn on the amp (otherwise they'll be hot). Turn the amp on, tap and see if it comes and goes. If that's it, just replace the preamp tube with a good quality tube.

There are a lot of good preamp tubes out there. See what is available in your area. Most likely, it's only the first tube for one of the channels. Replace that and I suspect your problem will go away.

Billy

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:54 pm

Listen to Billy...time for new pre-tubes. You crashed your car with the amp in the boot, I would've replaced the tubes just out of principle.

Billy...when your 1st pre-tube goes microphonic, you can just switch it with one of the other ones. That should save you from buying a new one.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:58 pm

probably so, but I change it anyways just 'cause I'm paranoid about an amp going down at a gig....

but I'll keep that in mind if it DOES happen at a gig and I don't have a spare.

Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:29 am

you know, my first reaction to this post "why does it whistle?" is because it doesn't know the words, but then I figured that that wouldn't be helpful....