question about reverb connections

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Minning Around

Post by Minning Around » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:47 pm

I bought a AD30R and it was shipped with the amp and cabinet in seperate packages. Now I need to hook up the reverb and need to know if it matters which RCA plug goes where. Does the red plug go to the input or the outlet? Don't want to fire it up till I've got it right.
there is only one color

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:48 am

it does matter. try both ways...it will only work one way, and it shouldn't hurt anything to try.

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:45 am

Good and simple advice from acorkos. This is probably the quickest way.

Generally speaking the low-ohm resistance side will be the input, assuming you Ohm-it-out...
Jon

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:36 am

red should be on the right side of the tank if you are looking at it from the back.

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:34 am

Did it work?

Jon

Minning Around

Post by Minning Around » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:31 pm

Red on the right worked. Thanks alot!
The amount of reverb is pretty weak though - I'm assuming this is normal for this amp?
there is only one color

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Minning Around</i>
<br />Red on the right worked. Thanks alot!
The amount of reverb is pretty weak though - I'm assuming this is normal for this amp?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Switch it around - see if it's any better.

Minning Around

Post by Minning Around » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I did switch it around. It doesn't work at all with red on the left. I also heard that the correct way to mount a reverb unit is to put it in a bag and then to mount the bag to the cabinet, not the reverb unit directly to the cabinet. Anyone know why this is so and would that affect the amount of reverb?
there is only one color

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Minning Around</i>
<br />I did switch it around. It doesn't work at all with red on the left. I also heard that the correct way to mount a reverb unit is to put it in a bag and then to mount the bag to the cabinet, not the reverb unit directly to the cabinet. Anyone know why this is so and would that affect the amount of reverb?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Probably a better way of doing it yes. It won't affect the <i>amount</i> of reverb as such, but will give the springs a bit more physical isolation - a good thing. Makes the reverb less susceptible to vibration, and cuts the possiblilty of reverb feedback. Matt (mpisarcik) did it himself I recall.

I believe the AD30s reverb is pretty mild, though they did introduce a mod around Feb '03 to improve the reverb. This could be retro fitted by techs if they contact Orange for the details.

http://www.orangeamps.com/forum/topic.a ... hichpage=1

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Changing the valve in the reverb socket also affects it a bit, as will changing the reverb transformer.

It's pretty weak compared to other amps, but I think it's the perfect amount for general playing. If you do surf stuff, you'll want more, or a pedal, but i'm still amazed by how good my reverb sounds. No "boooiiing" sound off it at all, just a completely natural decay.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:08 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Probably a better way of doing it yes. It won't affect the amount of reverb as such, but will give the springs a bit more physical isolation - a good thing. Makes the reverb less susceptible to vibration, and cuts the possiblilty of reverb feedback. Matt (mpisarcik) did it himself I recall.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

yep..thats me!

I agree with what andy did. the bag helped to eliminate vibrations and giant reverb noises if you bumb the amp. the correct tube value ( and a good tube ) helped to bring out all that the AD30R had to offer. If you want more, i think that there are a few people that build aftermarket reverb tanks that are supposed to be better/longer reverb effects. do a search on this forum or the net and you're sure to get some hits.