Please help! or120m 16xxx

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ocho8mila

Post by ocho8mila » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:38 pm

I've bought I orange overdrive and it arrived few days ago (from spain). It works but it has two little problems:
1) when it arrived I powered the head to make it get worm before trying to play. While I was waiting i accidently hit it (very softly) with the guitar and it made a sort of "bell sound" (DDDEENNG... ;)). Someone told me it may be a problem with the tubes, this means I have to change them? all of them? no? which ones?...
2) the gain knob is very noisy: at min it buzzes, at max it's a very loud noise (not possible to use nor for playing with band nor live... ). should I clean the knob? change it? or just it's old and noisy???
Here comes my BIG problem.... I have two crappy guitars but playing them with my marshall head (signature slash ltd) after all it sounds good (...it could better), I'm not that good player but I think that these last 7 years are not thrown in the bin... with this (fuxkixg) head I can't really make a good sound; obviously clean sounds it's possible (not the best but fine) instead dirty sounds, maybe done whit a boutique pedal (not a cheapy boss or ibanez... ), are just NOT GOOD (I've already been too vulgar... ).
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!
thanks
Lo

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Lo,

Welcome to the forum. Congrads on the new amp, but i'm sorry to hear you're having issues with it. You bought a great amp, i'm sure we'll sort things out so you can start enjoying it.

1) The "ding" you heard sounds to me like a microphonic pre-amp tube. That amp uses 2 12AX-7's (also known as ECC83's). They're relatively cheap, and easy to find. So i'd just recommend replacing both of them. You can do a search for "tubes" and bring up old threads to get some opinions and recommendations. For that amp i'd recommend either Electro harmonix for a nice well balanced tube, Ei's for a brighter and more detailed tone, or JJ's for a darker more full sound. Though the differences aren't huge, they are noticable.

2) Does the knob make noise only when you turn it, or does the amp have a hum that gets worse as you turn the gain knob up? These are 2 totally different problems, with different solutions. If the knob only makes noise when turning it, you need to clean the pot out. You can get a component cleaner at an electronics store. Get one with a lubricant in it. In the states, it's commonly called "Component cleaner and lubricant". I'm not sure how that translates into Spanish.

If the amp has a hum that increases as you turn the gain knob up, then it could be a few different things. I'd replace both pre-amp tubes first and see if that cures it. If not, there could be a loose connection in the amp, a bad ground connection, or a noisy component (cap or resistor). Replace both pre-amp tubes and we'll figure it out from there.

As far as the amp not sounding good. It's really hard for me to say without hearing it. When a good sounding amp isn't sounding good, the first thing to do is always to replace the tubes, especially if you don't know how old they are.

Take a listen to the sound clips in the sound clips thread and see if that's what your amp sounds like. If not, i'd replace the power tubes as well...have a good tech bias the amp up. If he's never worked on any Oranges, we can provide some pointers. They aren't like Marshalls or other amps.

I hope that helps. They're great amps. Hopefully we can sort this out for you and get the amp up and sounding nice.

-Nick

P.S. Here's a short clip of mine, for reference.
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Membe ... 024357.mp3
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:13 pm

take some pics of the insides so we can see

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:50 am

Try changing pre-amp tubes as micro-phonic tube could cause ringing and if it had a badly displaced element it could also call humm.

-Jon

ocho8mila

Post by ocho8mila » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:22 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Lo,

Welcome to the forum. Congrads on the new amp, but i'm sorry to hear you're having issues with it. You bought a great amp, i'm sure we'll sort things out so you can start enjoying it.

thanks

1) The "ding" you heard sounds to me like a microphonic pre-amp tube.

do I have to chenge, or for now it's ok?
That amp uses 2 12AX-7's (also known as ECC83's). They're relatively cheap, and easy to find. So i'd just recommend replacing both of them. You can do a search for "tubes" and bring up old threads to get some opinions and recommendations. For that amp i'd recommend either Electro harmonix for a nice well balanced tube, Ei's for a brighter and more detailed tone, or JJ's for a darker more full sound. Though the differences aren't huge, they are noticable.

JJ sound good for me.

2) Does the knob make noise only when you turn it, or does the amp have a hum that gets worse as you turn the gain knob up?

the second one

These are 2 totally different problems, with different solutions. If the knob only makes noise when turning it, you need to clean the pot out. You can get a component cleaner at an electronics store. Get one with a lubricant in it. In the states, it's commonly called "Component cleaner and lubricant". I'm not sure how that translates into Spanish.

Italian would be better 8)

If the amp has a hum that increases as you turn the gain knob up, then it could be a few different things. I'd replace both pre-amp tubes first and see if that cures it. If not, there could be a loose connection in the amp, a bad ground connection, or a noisy component (cap or resistor). Replace both pre-amp tubes and we'll figure it out from there.

so which should I take? JJ and which model?

As far as the amp not sounding good. It's really hard for me to say without hearing it. When a good sounding amp isn't sounding good, the first thing to do is always to replace the tubes, especially if you don't know how old they are.

the guy who sould it to me had the tubes replaced with some EH and some sovtek, actually I don't know which ones for pre and for final. anyway I'll go to buy the pre tubes. will it be easy to change them?

Take a listen to the sound clips in the sound clips thread and see if that's what your amp sounds like. If not, i'd replace the power tubes as well...have a good tech bias the amp up. If he's never worked on any Oranges, we can provide some pointers. They aren't like Marshalls or other amps.

Well I started to learn how to use it (FAC at the third position from left, bass at 1 o'clock, treble at 12, even presence at 12, gain all the way down and master at 2) like this I'm starting thinking of eliminating my od, fuzz, dist pedals... ;)

I was thinking of bringing it to a man who is a sort of magic technician of these things but I don't know if he ever had an orange in his hands, what should I tell him?

I hope that helps. They're great amps. Hopefully we can sort this out for you and get the amp up and sounding nice.

I hope too

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

what type of guitar did you use recording that clip?

another thing the echo send/return what position has it got in the circuit? before the pre? after? AT THE END???

thanks,

<font color="orange"><font size="2"><font face="Book Antiqua">Lorenzo</font id="Book Antiqua"></font id="size2"></font id="orange"> ehe

ocho8mila

Post by ocho8mila » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:30 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ocho8mila</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Lo,

<font color="maroon">thanks</font id="maroon">

<font color="maroon">do I have to chenge, or for now it's ok? </font id="maroon">

That amp uses 2 12AX-7's (also known as ECC83's). They're relatively cheap, and easy to find. So i'd just recommend replacing both of them. You can do a search for "tubes" and bring up old threads to get some opinions and recommendations. For that amp i'd recommend either Electro harmonix for a nice well balanced tube, Ei's for a brighter and more detailed tone, or JJ's for a darker more full sound. Though the differences aren't huge, they are noticable.

<font color="maroon">JJ sound good for me.</font id="maroon">

2) Does the knob make noise only when you turn it, or does the amp have a hum that gets worse as you turn the gain knob up?

<font color="maroon">the second one</font id="maroon">

These are 2 totally different problems, with different solutions. If the knob only makes noise when turning it, you need to clean the pot out. You can get a component cleaner at an electronics store. Get one with a lubricant in it. In the states, it's commonly called "Component cleaner and lubricant". I'm not sure how that translates into Spanish.

<font color="maroon">Italian would be better</font id="maroon"> 8)

<font color="maroon">so which should I take? JJ and which model?</font id="maroon">

<font color="maroon">the guy who sould it to me had the tubes replaced with some EH and some sovtek, actually I don't know which ones for pre and for final. anyway I'll go to buy the pre tubes. will it be easy to change them?</font id="maroon">

<font color="maroon">Well I started to learn how to use it (FAC at the third position from left, bass at 1 o'clock, treble at 12, even presence at 12, gain all the way down and master at 2) like this I'm starting thinking of eliminating my od, fuzz, dist pedals... ;)</font id="maroon">

<font color="maroon">I was thinking of bringing it to a man who is a sort of magic technician of these things but I don't know if he ever had an orange in his hands, what should I tell him?</font id="maroon">

<font color="maroon">I hope too</font id="maroon">

SORRY I'M NOT VERY EXPERT OF FORUMS...
the thing in maroon is what I wrote...

which type of guitar did you use recording that clip?

can you date my orange head? as I wrote there is written 016xxx
another thing the echo send/return what position has it got in the circuit? before the pre? after? AT THE END???

thanks AGAIN,

<font color="orange"><font size="2"><font face="Book Antiqua">Lorenzo</font id="Book Antiqua"></font id="size2"></font id="orange"> ehe

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ocho8mila</i>
<br />

thanks,

No problem Lorenzo ;)

The guitar was a Gibson SG '61 Reissue. Speaker cabinet was a Hiwatt 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

The Echo Send/Return is at the end of the pre-amp. But i'm afraid not many people have good luck using it as an effects loop. It was designed for use with a tube Echo unit that Orange made in the 70's and doesn't work well with other effects. But there's only one way to find out for sure, try it! ;)

16*** should be made in 1979. Have a look at the timeline. I put it together based on information that "orange" (forum member), myself, and a few other forum members gathered.

http://www.geocities.com/diytech_ct/timeline.html

Hope that helps.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

ocho8mila

Post by ocho8mila » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:23 pm

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Lo,

thanks

do I have to chenge, or for now it's ok?

JJ sound good for me.

the second one

Italian would be better 8)

so which should I take? JJ and which model?

the guy who sould it to me had the tubes replaced with some EH and some sovtek, actually I don't know which ones for pre and for final. anyway I'll go to buy the pre tubes. will it be easy to change them?

Well I started to learn how to use it (FAC at the third position from left, bass at 1 o'clock, treble at 12, even presence at 12, gain all the way down and master at 2) like this I'm starting thinking of eliminating my od, fuzz, dist pedals... ;)

I was thinking of bringing it to a man who is a sort of magic technician of these things but I don't know if he ever had an orange in his hands, what should I tell him?

I hope too

thanks,

ocho8mila

Post by ocho8mila » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:26 pm

<font color="yellow">thanks</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">do I have to chenge, or for now it's ok?</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">JJ sound good for me.</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">the second one</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">Italian would be better</font id="yellow"> 8)

<font color="yellow">so which should I take? JJ and which model?</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">the guy who sould it to me had the tubes replaced with some EH and some sovtek, actually I don't know which ones for pre and for final. anyway I'll go to buy the pre tubes. will it be easy to change them?</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">Well I started to learn how to use it (FAC at the third position from left, bass at 1 o'clock, treble at 12, even presence at 12, gain all the way down and master at 2) like this I'm starting thinking of eliminating my od, fuzz, dist pedals... </font id="yellow"> ;)

<font color="yellow">I was thinking of bringing it to a man who is a sort of magic technician of these things but I don't know if he ever had an orange in his hands, what should I tell him?</font id="yellow">

<font color="yellow">I hope too</font id="yellow">

OK My answers and questions are in yellow...

sorry again bye