If I may be technical here for a second ......

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Dr. Tweedbucket
Tiny Terror

Post by Dr. Tweedbucket » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:11 pm

I usually run my AD30 out the 16 ohm jack and through a 16 ohm cab. I also have an eight ohm cab that I would like to run from time to time, but as I understand it, the eight ohm out on the Orange is for loading both jacks with an eight ohm load..... like for 8 ohm stereo cabs. If I run just one 8 ohm speaker on one side, should I put an 8 ohm plug in the other output, or does it really matter ? :?

...all my other amps have impedence selectors, so it has never been an issue before :oops:
yeah well .... whaddayagonna do ?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:27 pm

Don't use 2 different jacks at the same time (ie. don't have a cab plugged into the 16 ohm jack, and a cab plugged into an "8 ohm" jack).

The formula for parallel impedance is:

Load 1 x Load 2
---------------
Load 1 + Load 2

So an 8 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab running together would be about 5.3 ohms.

The 8 ohm jacks on the amp are wired to an 8 ohm tap on the OT. This means that they intend for you to plug a single 8 ohm cab into one of them...or 2 16 ohm cabs in...one into each 8 ohm jack.

I wouldn't recommend using both those cabs, as you're going to have a bit of a mismatch. It will be a lower impedance than the OT is designed to handle.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:26 am

This was just discussed here the other day:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=6241

Dr. Tweedbucket
Tiny Terror

Post by Dr. Tweedbucket » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:23 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Don't use 2 different jacks at the same time (ie. don't have a cab plugged into the 16 ohm jack, and a cab plugged into an "8 ohm" jack).

The formula for parallel impedance is:

Load 1 x Load 2
---------------
Load 1 + Load 2

So an 8 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab running together would be about 5.3 ohms.

The 8 ohm jacks on the amp are wired to an 8 ohm tap on the OT. This means that they intend for you to plug a single 8 ohm cab into one of them...or 2 16 ohm cabs in...one into each 8 ohm jack.

I wouldn't recommend using both those cabs, as you're going to have a bit of a mismatch. It will be a lower impedance than the OT is designed to handle.

-Nick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. What I really meant to ask was if the amp was set up to run two 8 ohm cabs since there were two 8 ohm jacks. ..... so it sounds like it is ok to do it. :)

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:16 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket</i>
[br

Thanks. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. What I really meant to ask was if the amp was set up to run two 8 ohm cabs since there were two 8 ohm jacks. ..... so it sounds like it is ok to do it. :)

Answer is no. Two 8 ohm cabs into the pair of 8 ohm sockets puts a 4 ohm load on the 8 ohm tap and drops the load impedance on the power tubes a factor of 2.

Attached extracted from RV50 manual (same applies).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When using one Orange Speaker Cabinet, (i.e.
PPC412/AD or PPC212) use the 16 ohm socket.
When using two Orange Speaker cabinets then use both 8
ohm sockets.
If you are using a third party 8 ohm cabinet, then use
either of the two 8 ohm sockets.
WARNING: Never use two 8 ohm cabinets at the same
time.
When using a Rockerverb 50 combo with a 16 ohm
extension speaker, disconnect the internal speaker from
the 16 ohm socket and reconnect to one of the two 8
ohms sockets. Connect the extension speaker to the other
8 ohm socket.
WARNING: This amplifier should not be used with 4
ohm speaker set-ups<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Cheers
Brian

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket</i>
<br />

Nope...read that part of my post again...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />
The 8 ohm jacks on the amp are wired to an 8 ohm tap on the OT. This means that they intend for you to plug a <i>single 8 ohm cab into one of them...or 2 16 ohm cabs in...one into each 8 ohm jack.</i>
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:35 am

2 X 8 = 4 Ohms, DON'T DO IT!

-jON

Dr. Tweedbucket
Tiny Terror

Post by Dr. Tweedbucket » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Well then why the heck did they install 2 eight ohm output jacks then?

.... maybe they were wanting you to drive 2 sixteen ohm cabs ?

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:27 pm

<br />

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yep, hole in one! :)

Impedance explained:
http://ebassist.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=11117

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Dr. Tweedbucket
Tiny Terror

Post by Dr. Tweedbucket » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket</i>
<br />

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yep, hole in one! :)

Impedance explained:

Andy.

Whoa !!! that is GOOD !! 8) 8)

Ade Emsley
Forum Admin

Post by Ade Emsley » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:40 pm

There is a good reason why most of the current range of Orange guitar amps only go down to 8 ohms, not 4 ohms!
The reason is that any output transformer that has 16 ohms as its highest impedance would only have half of its secondary being used if it had a 4 ohm tap! It will always sound best at 16 because the entire secondary is being used!
An exception to this is the latest 100 watt Orange output transformer which has 8 sections. This sounds as good on 4 ohms as an original OR 120 transformer sounds on 16 ohms and even better still when you run it at 8 or 16 but its not cheap to produce. This has a 4 ohm tap purely because it is a replacement for OR 80`s and 120`s of old.
Only the 8 and 16 ohm outputs are used on a Rockerverb 100 and AD140TC.:D

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Ade, a serious question which I've put before. Would it not be possible to label the speaker outs more clearly? You, I and most everyone here knows about the use of the 'two 8 ohm outputs'. But it really isn't that obvious to any newbies.
"It says 8 ohms, there are two, so why can't I plug in two 8 ohm cabs?" isn't a daft question to my mind.

Couldn't the amps two 8 ohm outputs simply be clearly labelled:
"One 8 ohm cabinet or two 16 ohm cabinets"

This comes up so often here, I really don't know how often I've linked to that...
...thread when trying to explain. Instead I could just say "because it says so on the amp!", and get on with the various other things that make each day special for me... ;)

On the new output transformers. If ever having to replace an OR120 OT with the new current Orange one, what sort of changes would you expect tonally? I'm sure you must have tried it?

Also are you using new design transformers throughout the range, or just that one at present?

Thanks as ever. Really great to have your feedback here these days! 8)

Andy.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br />
On the new Output Transformers. If ever having to replace an OR120 OT with the new current Orange one, what sort of changes would you expect tonally? I'm sure you must have tried it?

Andy.
They actually sounds pretty similar. I like the AD-140 in my 90's head better than the stock OT that died on me. They do have less high end roll off though, as it seems to me. I remember the amp being darker with the stock iron.

The 70's OT's though, do sound a little fatter IMO. And again, darker.

-Nick

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:05 pm

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br />
On the new Output Transformers. If ever having to replace an OR120 OT with the new current Orange one, what sort of changes would you expect tonally? I'm sure you must have tried it?

Andy.
They actually sounds pretty similar. I like the AD-140 in my 90's head better than the stock OT that died on me. They do have less high end roll off though, as it seems to me. I remember the amp being darker with the stock iron.

The 70's OT's though, do sound a little fatter IMO. And again, darker.

-Nick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">We are talking brand new trannies here Nick! (Did you maybe miss the end of this thread?):
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=5958

Andy.

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am

ENGL label their jacks really well.
i'll try and get a picture today.