AD30 TC a bit under powered?!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

monkey_boy

Post by monkey_boy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:15 am

I've got an Orange AD30 twin channel head, and i've gotta say - its a bit under powered - I have this baby cranked to the max and its too dang quiet! I mean its loud, but drums completely drown it out.

its only a month old, so theres not probs there.

Any ideas?

Dude

Post by Dude » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:57 pm

sounds strange to me. I use the same one with a Marshall 2x12. the speakers have 2x16 ohm and the amp has 2x8 ohm. So, i have not the complete power available but it is absolutely loud enough to make the drums forgotten without go to the max.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:23 pm

Unless you have a ridiculously loud drummer, the AD30's should be plenty loud enough. What is the band's line-up? Multiple guitarists, keys, etc?

Oh, and I usually have my Orange set on 2 or 3 and it's ripping my head off- I have the combo though with two Celestion Vintage 30's.

Do you have the impedance set right? What kind of cab are you running it into? What kind of speakers?

Billy

monkey_boy

Post by monkey_boy » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:31 am

band is drums, 2 guitars, bass, vocals.

The other guitarist uses a JCM 900 1OOW head and the Orange gets lost compared it it.

I've borrowed a mesa 4X12 cab, so i'm gonna try it through that.

I'm using a '98 Gibson Les Paul Custom through this, which is obviously a high out-put guitar, so I can't figure out why its so quiet.

I'm gonna take it into a music store saturday and let them take a look at it.

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:59 pm

Sounds like something may be wrong with it.
The AD30 should have no problems competing with others in a band.

delancie

Post by delancie » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:34 am

Ya know... I gotta say, I kind of agree with the original post here. Mine isn't completely drowned out, but I mean...
I can hit the ceiling pretty darn easily with this thing. I've noticed that often times it does not seem loud enough... and i'll already be on 8 or 9.

aussie

Post by aussie » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:43 pm

i kind of agree too. i have an ad30r combo and while i'd say it is loudish its not crazy loud. in small/medium sized gigs i play it with gain and master on about half way. i get the sound i like at a reasonable volume. the other day i played in a bigger venue and so had it cranked nearly on full. it was very loud - but not unbearable. my singer who also was playing had a mid size laney combo which was much, much louder. a while ago when my amp died i hired a fender deville for a gig. to me it seemed so much louder than my orange. i had it on about 3 and the guys were moaning at me.

i guess it doesn't matter cos i'm happy with my sound. i do feel that the amp is loud enough for my requirements - i'm always miked up and if i position the amp facing up i can always hear it. its not quiet by any stretch (i don't get drowned out by the band) but i'm getting what you guys are saying.

ifoundthefringe

Post by ifoundthefringe » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:12 am

I have the AD30 head too and its loud enough. I haven't even turned it up all the way. I love the sound i get out of it.

delancie

Post by delancie » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:00 pm

yeah aussie... the guitar opposite of me plays a deville, and damn is that thing LOUD. He doesn't pass 2 or 3, and if he does, ears start bleeding. The Orange, however, always needs to be driven, especially on "clean" channel.

I may have had my speaker wire set up incorrectly, though, which might have been effing up the sound of my speakers.. not sure. I'm looking into that one right now. (check the other thread)

Ian

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:48 pm

"Loud" is so objective, I don't think anything is wrong with your amp.

I have a Vox AC-30. A lot of people say they're insanely loud. While they are a DAMN loud 30W. It's not <i>that</i> loud. I can crank it up full volume and still not have a prayer of overpowering my drummer. But I recently jammed with a different band, and I brought the AC-30. I had it on 4, and I was blowing everyone else out of the room.

What's loud so some isn't always loud to others. Maybe you need an AD-140 ;)

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

aussie

Post by aussie » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:36 pm

an ad140 - now thats an idea : )