Cleaning up a pot...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:37 am

... mainly because i'm not sure which sort of stuff I could use.

The volume pot on my $167 acoustic preamp (that I got for $16 on eBay) is crackling and making my signal intermittent if I whack it. I may need re-soldering possibly, but maybe just cleaning.

I have some switch cleaner - the stuff that I use on non-live electrical pots - but i'm unsure as to whether i'm OK using that or need something else. Ideas?

It looks like this... main volume is top right.

Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:11 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />... mainly because i'm not sure which sort of stuff I could use.

The volume pot on my $167 acoustic preamp (that I got for $16 on eBay) is crackling and making my signal intermittent if I whack it. I may need re-soldering possibly, but maybe just cleaning.

I have some switch cleaner - the stuff that I use on non-live electrical pots - but i'm unsure as to whether i'm OK using that or need something else. Ideas?

It looks like this... main volume is top right.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Joe this stuff - http://www.studiospares.com/pd_635000_S ... RVISOL.htm - or similar works.
Of if it is really sh1tty then this stuff first http://www.studiospares.com/pd_635030_A ... 20AERO.htm followed by the first one.
Didn'tknow your local currency was dollar$
Cheers
Brian

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:38 pm

TV tuner cleaner with lubricant is what you need... spray and twist the pots for about 30 seconds or more.

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:18 am

[quote]<i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />TV tuner cleaner with lubricant is what you need... spray and twist the pots for about 30 seconds or more.

I us stuff Radio Shack sells. I guess they don't have those in the U.K.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:49 am

when you have it open to clean the pot, have a hot soldering iron ready....from the sound of it, you may have some intermittent contacts there.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 am

Yeah, I emailed Dieter at K&K and he just suggested some WD40. He said the pot might need replacing, which they could do for $20 if I shipped it over to Oregon!

Think i'll be whipping out my iron...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />Yeah, I emailed Dieter at K&K and he just suggested some WD40. He said the pot might need replacing, which they could do for $20 if I shipped it over to Oregon!

Think i'll be whipping out my iron...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I wouldn't use WD40 myself. It is silicone free, but I think the good tuner cleaners <i>do</i> contain silicone. Anyway, much better with real tuner cleaner IMO. (Do you find WD40 in electronics stores beside the tuner cleaners? If so I've never noticed it.)

WD40 is great for car ignition systems and perfect for lubricating locks. Better then using oil in locks in fact. (Not a lot of people know that!)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:57 pm

Might fetch some proper stuff from Maplin then.
Joe

G(sus) saves

robtaz
Tiny Terror

Post by robtaz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:03 pm

I'm sure I've heard bad things about cleaning Pots with WD40. Come to think it my Wah wah was never the same after I sprayed it with WD40.
As for it other uses I couldn't possibly comment.
Rob
If it don't kill ya. it'll make you stronger.

www.myspace.com/workingtitlebluesband

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:58 am

Forget WD-40. Use DeOxit-5 for best results. This is the Pro stuff.
I don't know if it can be shipped to the U.K. but it's the best-of-breed.

(I use it in all critical applications. Made in the USA and I get it shipped to me with the usual costs for hazarous material.)

-Jon

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm just going to go with the contact cleaner i've got. If it still doesn't work, i'll send it off to my tech to fix it. I'm not happy soldering PCBs, and don't really have the time, so he can do it...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:17 pm

Cleaning up a pot.

depending on it if its dry or moist,

if it's moist then just tear it up into small pieces removing as much of the large stems as you can. then use scissors to cut it up into shavings and be sure to remove all the small stems and seed if there is any..

if its dry then just break it up with you fingers and pull all the stems clean and again remove all the smell stems and seeds..

that should do it.

OH and YES! stay away from the WD-40..

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Satanic_Versus</i>
<br />Cleaning up a pot.

depending on it if its dry or moist,

if it's moist then just tear it up into small pieces removing as much of the large stems as you can. then use scissors to cut it up into shavings and be sure to remove all the small stems and seed if there is any..

if its dry then just break it up with you fingers and pull all the stems clean and again remove all the smell stems and seeds..

that should do it.

OH and YES! stay away from the WD-40..<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Ah, very good. Not sure that Joe was talking about his 'pot' <i>plants</i> though... ;)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Give that man a cigar...
Joe

G(sus) saves

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Hey Joe.... (how many times does this greeting occur?)

Kew Gardens may be able to help here.... hehe.