Rocker 30 Combo Crackle after palm mute.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 Combo Crackle after palm mute.

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 am

bclaire wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm
bclaire wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 am
I replaced the speakers and when I was putting the old speakers in the boxes, something rattled around when I tipped one of the speakers so now I think the speakers were probably fine and something was rattling around between the cone and the frame.... doh.

I've had that with a speaker once. Bought the amp 2nd hand, got home and got a high pitch rattling noise at volume.

Turned out to be a washer between the cone and the spider frame....
Well, I get to test it out tonight when we have our first rehearsal in over a year... three out of the four band members are now vaccinated!

Oh man, enjoy!!!

I'm quite jealous really!!! Between Covid and our house project, I haven't rehearsed witj the band for the last year and a half. 😶

I really miss it..... and now our bassist has buggered off to Newcastle with his wife too. :(

I don't think he'll do the 5h commute for our weekly rehearsals whenever we can start again....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:37 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 am
Oh man, enjoy!!!

I'm quite jealous really!!! Between Covid and our house project, I haven't rehearsed witj the band for the last year and a half. 😶

I really miss it..... and now our bassist has buggered off to Newcastle with his wife too. :(

I don't think he'll do the 5h commute for our weekly rehearsals whenever we can start again....
It was an "interesting" rehearsal. We did ok but there were things we all forgot - arrangements, pat solos, etc.

At one point during the last song, I switched over from my AD30TC to my OR15 w/1X12 cab that I have been thinking of using instead of the 30. Big mistake. I had it sounding good and what seemed to be usable rehearsing on my own, but with the band, it just totally didn't cut it at all!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am

bclaire wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:37 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 am
Oh man, enjoy!!!

It was an "interesting" rehearsal. We did ok but there were things we all forgot - arrangements, pat solos, etc.

At one point during the last song, I switched over from my AD30TC to my OR15 w/1X12 cab that I have been thinking of using instead of the 30. Big mistake. I had it sounding good and what seemed to be usable rehearsing on my own, but with the band, it just totally didn't cut it at all!
Good you tried it still.

Yeah, not surprised about the forgotten parts.... whenever we get back to playing together, there will be a bunch of figuring things out again..... but we'll need a new bass player too.....
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am
Good you tried it still.

Yeah, not surprised about the forgotten parts.... whenever we get back to playing together, there will be a bunch of figuring things out again..... but we'll need a new bass player too.....
I'm wondering how long we can last...
We've seen our fanbase growing older (like we are!) and many people just not going out to clubs/ bars anymore. It's hard for us (60's) to be relevant to people in their twenties and thirties. We do have some younger fans who appreciate the music we play, but there's going to come a point where some of the band just can't do it anymore. It's been a good 32 year run but we're not ready to hang it up yet!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:13 am

bclaire wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am
Good you tried it still.

I'm wondering how long we can last...
We've seen our fanbase growing older (like we are!) and many people just not going out to clubs/ bars anymore. It's hard for us (60's) to be relevant to people in their twenties and thirties. We do have some younger fans who appreciate the music we play, but there's going to come a point where some of the band just can't do it anymore. It's been a good 32 year run but we're not ready to hang it up yet!
Thing is, it's just nice to play together too, nevwrmind the gigs.
I'm not much for covers, playing on your own isn't quite the same.
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but I had an idea yesterday to play along to some of our live gigs (we film them all). It was actually a blast. Playing the "live" arrangements of the songs up to tempo and hearing the crowd make some noise was nice vs playing along to CD or solo.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but I had an idea yesterday to play along to some of our live gigs (we film them all). It was actually a blast. Playing the "live" arrangements of the songs up to tempo and hearing the crowd make some noise was nice vs playing along to CD or solo.
That's a great idea! I wish we had more live recordings!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:33 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm
I did that with some Pearl Jam recordings and at this point I’m not sure why I’m not in the band?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Give them a call maybe they will give you a remote audition :D

We've been recording all of our shows for the past 4 years now. I picked up a Zoom Q4N a few years back and while the video quality is so-so the audio is pretty good. Nice to watch the vids and work on improving our performance, or even just have something as a memory. Go-Pros work great too and are a bit cheaper. I love the fact that you can set it up someone cool before the crowd rolls in and control everything from your phone. Nice to position the shot with that remote viewfinder as well vs the tiny flip out screen on the zoom.

My fondest memory of the zoom was when I was recording a friends band during their CD release. They wanted a shot right in front of the stage so I had to get up on a chair in the middle of the venue to get everything lined up properly. Right before they started playing I had to jump up again to start the dang thing. Of course the place was packed and I had to ask a people to get out of the way so I could jump up and start the camera. I suggest the GoPro route :D