Rocker 30 Combo Crackle after palm mute.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Rocker 30 Combo Crackle after palm mute.

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:45 pm

Hello Everyone!

Hopefully a few folks are still lurking. I recently started noticing my R30C crackles while palm muted low notes are decaying. I tested through the combo cab with my TT head and there was no crackle. There is no crackle on the natural channel.

I think one of the preamp tubes (on the dirty side) is on it's way out. Am I on the right path? These are a full set of JJ's probably 10 years old, so well due for a change out. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before I drop a small fortune on a tube order? Might as well do all three amps right heh?

There are a few dead posts about crackling palm mutes on the web but it seems if the issues were ever resolved the OP didn't provide a final update.

Thanks.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 30 Combo Crackle after palm mute.

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 am

Did some testing after work and I think it's power related. I tried both my head and combo through the 212V and I think they made the same sound hard to tell as the V is pretty dark compared to the V30 in the combo. There is no way to get the head to go through the combo cab the cable is way too short, but I've got another cab otw with V30's so I will do some more testing when it arrives.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:32 am

I'm having something similar happening and I think it's a blown speaker. Between a lot of low octave doubling and my occasional use of a baritone guitar, I think one of my speakers is shot.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 am

Is it possible to blow a v30? Haha. I really hope not this is one of the stock UK made ones.

I cranked it way up on the natural Channel and no crackle so I don't think it's a blown speaker. Just seems to be with the gain up on the dirty side. If I roll back on the volume the crackle goes away.

EDIT: I managed to get the r30 head plugged into the r30 combo speaker. It makes the same sound, little quieter but it's still there. I don't think there is anything wrong with the speaker because the TT plugged in doesn't crackle. Maybe I'm just noticing this noise now after 10 years? Wierd.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 am

The other thing I noticed was noise at the input jack. I sprayed it with electronic cleaner/ lubricant and that got better.

Maybe oxidation on the tube pins?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Yea my weekend project is to clean all the tube pins and sockets to see if that helps.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:48 pm

hi all!!

and, I ran into this when trying to use an attenuator.. found an all metal female TS/TS barrel connector that basically allowed you to connect a speaker cable to a speaker cable.. seemed to work just fine
Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:35 am
There is no way to get the head to go through the combo cab the cable is way too short, .
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 am

I replaced the speakers and when I was putting the old speakers in the boxes, something rattled around when I tipped one of the speakers so now I think the speakers were probably fine and something was rattling around between the cone and the frame.... doh.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:38 pm

Nice! I had a similar issue with a bass cab. It was rattling/buzzing like crazy even at low volumes. I pulled it all apart, filled stripped holes, and retightened everything. It was still rattling so I assumed it was the logo (in the middle of the grill). I pryed the logo off and ruined it in the process but the rattle was still there. Turns out the front screws that hold the grill on were nowhere near tight enough. I cranked them right down onto the rubber grommets and the rattle went away. I wasted 2 weeks but I've got a sleek looking unbranded cab now :)

I planed to check out the tubes last weekend but was far too lazy :) Will report back when I get the motivation heh.

Also I managed to get the head plugged into the combo cab by turning both on the side. Both heads made the same noise through the combo cab, but my TT head did not. I checked with my guitar tech (who now does amps), first thing he said was filter caps, until I told him both heads were doing it. It's possible since they are roughly the same year, and had tubes replaced 8-10 years ago (with the same re-tube kit) that the same failures/wear are occurring. Unlikely but possible.

I just so happened to order a 212OB a few months back so when it gets here I'll have an easier time testing an external cab with bright speakers. The 212V speakers are rolled off and don't seem to produce the frequencies where the crackle lives (probably why I didn't notice it with the head, as it's been running through this cab exclusively).

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 pm

A lot of times, a crackle sound to me is a loose connection somewhere. If it’s only happening on that speaker maybe check the spade connectors, or the connector wires.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:59 pm

I checked the connectors/wire and it all seems solid. It's a bit strange. All of my guitars are in drop D and if I do an open string palm-mute there is no crackle. If I do a more "crunchy" palm-mute something like:

x
x

It crackles.

Almost like it's caused by note dissonance if that makes any sense? Regardless that other cab should be here in the next few weeks so I'll have an easier time troubleshooting. Really been missing my PPC212, hopefully the OB will take care of the complaints I had with the CB.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:02 am

Well now I don't know what to say the crackle seems to have stopped. I did notice there was a weird noise coming through the amp last week like a faint ticking. Maybe the power was acting up over the past few weeks? No idea at this point. I'll report back if it happens again and resume troubleshooting.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 pm

I have had EL84 gone bad that emitted all sorts of weird noises intermittently, including wooshing and crackling....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 am
I replaced the speakers and when I was putting the old speakers in the boxes, something rattled around when I tipped one of the speakers so now I think the speakers were probably fine and something was rattling around between the cone and the frame.... doh.

I've had that with a speaker once. Bought the amp 2nd hand, got home and got a high pitch rattling noise at volume.

Turned out to be a washer between the cone and the spider frame....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:23 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm
bclaire wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 am

I've had that with a speaker once. Bought the amp 2nd hand, got home and got a high pitch rattling noise at volume.

Turned out to be a washer between the cone and the spider frame....
Well, I get to test it out tonight when we have our first rehearsal in over a year... three out of the four band members are now vaccinated!