Brent Hinds Terror doesn’t like pedals

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

sothoth

Brent Hinds Terror doesn’t like pedals

Post by sothoth » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:13 am

Any feedback for me on this? I have some issues with pedals in my effects loop whether using the dirty or clean channel but less so when plugged into the front. Basically most of my pedals sound great and “normal” on other amps but on this head they sound overly distorted and like there is a pulsing sound if on the effects loop. If plugged into the main input they’re better but dull and not very lively. Any thoughts?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Brent Hinds Terror doesn’t like pedals

Post by Jondog » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 pm

What pedals? Not too familiar with the Brent Hinds.

sothoth

Post by sothoth » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:38 am

Jondog wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 pm
Most all pedals but it’s more evident on ones like OD, fuzz, and boost where there is a gain stage. That’s at least what it seems like to me.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:19 pm

sothoth wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:38 am
Jondog wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 pm
Most all pedals but it’s more evident on ones like OD, fuzz, and boost where there is a gain stage. That’s at least what it seems like to me.
Are you plugging your guitar straight in to the pedals and then in the effects loop return, or plugging into the amp input and putting the distortion pedals in the loop? Generally distortion pedals don't sound good in the loop with the amps pre-amp feeding into them. Not all amps handle peals well either, I'm somewhat familiar with the design of that amp, but not that amp specifically. It's similar to a Rocker but with some differences in the frequencies, which could really affect how well it takes pedals. ON the Rocker I find it handles distortion pedals well in front if the gain on the dirty channel is kept fairly clean. The Natural channel really depends on the pedal.

sothoth

Post by sothoth » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am

Jondog wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:19 pm
Are you plugging your guitar straight in to the pedals and then in the effects loop return, or plugging into the amp input and putting the distortion pedals in the loop?
Yeah I guess I wasn’t very specific. I try to follow the rule that the guitar goes into a tuner then wah then fuzz/distortion/od the amp input. The loop is reserved for delay, chorus, echo, flanger, etc.

Nothing in my loop sounds good.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 am

I have the Rocker 15 Terror and find it LOVES pedals, especially on the Natural channel. With the lack of eq on the amp, I make do with an Ibanez EQ pedal. All my modulation, delay and reverb pedals sound wonderful!

You say it sounds distorted in the loop, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the tube for the fx loop? Might be worth swapping it out to see if it fixes anything.