Ade: what's your ultimate NOS tube setup for R30 and Terror amps?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

InX

Ade: what's your ultimate NOS tube setup for R30 and Terror amps?

Post by InX » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:03 am

Pre's and Power: Mullards? Amperex? Long plates? XF1's? GEC KT77?

What would you throw in an R30 and R15/BH Terror if cost was no object?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Ade: what's your ultimate NOS tube setup for R30 and Terror amps?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 am

I've personally settled on 60s Tungsram ECC83 in V1, 60s RFT ECC83 in V2 and V3, and 60s short base RFT EL34.

Having tried it after each valve swap, it was amazing. V1 makes the clean channel come to life, but smoothed out the dirty channel a little too much for my taste. Luckily the RFT ECC83 in V2 solved that. Just the same old R30, but with more oomph, thicker, richer.

After those pretty impressive improvements, I wasn't quite ready for how much the RFT EL34 would still improve the amp. Piano like low end, so much richer and thicker still ..... and the punch is unreal!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:22 pm

In my Rocker 15 Terror, I'm using NOS Rogers-branded Philips i65 12AX7's. I really like how they compress with distortion and they sound lush and warm

In the power-amp section, I use NOS Soviet 6P14P-EV tubes. These sound true and clear and can be driven hard. They also last a long time, spec'd for 10 000 hours. I'm using a pair I pulled from my VOX Night Train, which used to be my main amp. Dunno the hours on them, but I've been using them for over five years.

InX

Post by InX » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:24 am

northernguitarguy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:22 pm
In my Rocker 15 Terror, I'm using NOS Rogers-branded Philips i65 12AX7's. I really like how they compress with distortion and they sound lush and warm

In the power-amp section, I use NOS Soviet 6P14P-EV tubes. These sound true and clear and can be driven hard. They also last a long time, spec'd for 10 000 hours. I'm using a pair I pulled from my VOX Night Train, which used to be my main amp. Dunno the hours on them, but I've been using them for over five years.
I've got a Brent Hinds on loan, and I love Mullard f-series long plates across the board, and digging a Sylvania black plate 12AT7 in the FX loop slot.

Stock JJ EL84's are ok, TAD's were a *tad* better, but good lord, the Reflektor 6pi14pi, non-EV/EB, are REALLY something. Like, Kenny Fisher used them in Train Wrecks and Dr. Z ships them STOCK "really something."

Going to try some Sylvania 6BQ5 black plates, as I hear these and the Tunsgrams are kings, as well as the 50's Phillips/Miniwatt Sittard production. I like big dark tones, so we shall see.

The Reflectors are literally NIGHT AND DAY better than the JJ/TAD. It's not even close. Ade did fit the amp as best as could be with current production tubes though, it sounds stellar out of the box and that's to be commended. It gets downright DIVINE with NOS goodies though.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:54 pm

InX wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:24 am
northernguitarguy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:22 pm

I've got a Brent Hinds on loan, and I love Mullard f-series long plates across the board, and digging a Sylvania black plate 12AT7 in the FX loop slot.

Stock JJ EL84's are ok, TAD's were a *tad* better, but good lord, the Reflektor 6pi14pi, non-EV/EB, are REALLY something. Like, Kenny Fisher used them in Train Wrecks and Dr. Z ships them STOCK "really something."

Going to try some Sylvania 6BQ5 black plates, as I hear these and the Tunsgrams are kings, as well as the 50's Phillips/Miniwatt Sittard production. I like big dark tones, so we shall see.

The Reflectors are literally NIGHT AND DAY better than the JJ/TAD. It's not even close. Ade did fit the amp as best as could be with current production tubes though, it sounds stellar out of the box and that's to be commended. It gets downright DIVINE with NOS goodies though.
It's funny you said 'if cost was no object', because I got my Reflectors off of Eastern European ebay vendors for the price of new JJ's. I've bought three matched pairs and haven't had a bad batch. Given the life they purportedly get, they may last my lifetime! The Tube Store sells them as their 'Preferred Series' EL84s and mark them up a lot. Mine cost me less than a Tube Store single for a pair.

https://www.thetubestore.com/preferred- ... emium-el84

As for JJ's, I think they're great in some amps. I liked them best over EHX or Reflektor when I owned a Tiny Terror.

MojoBlaster

Post by MojoBlaster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 am

In my AD50 Custom Shop (built by Ade) I have NOS Mullard EL34's from the 50's, an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in the V-1 and a NOS Mullard 12AX7 in the V-2. Very happy with this set up.
CS Stratocaster, CS Telecaster, partscaster Cabronita, Orange AD50 CS, OR15H, PPC 112 x2, Victoria 45410, Strymon Flint, El Capistan, Sweet Honey OD, JHS Bolt, Keeley Comp, Tiny Orange Phaser, Peterson Classic tuner, Pedal Power 2 Plus.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm

When I had a Tiny Terror, I tried out NOS Sylvania and Mullard EL84s. Believe it or not, I actually preferred the new Genalex Gold Lions by a wide margin. I have a quad of those in my AD30, with NOS GE 12ax7s and GZ34.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:03 pm

Interesting, I have got some new issue Genalex EL34s and I absolutely cannot stand them! I don't like them at all in my Rocker 30 or in my Super Bass, they just sound really boring and sterile. My go to EL34s are Shuguang EL34Bs, they sound great in everything I have put them in so far. I also like RFTs and old Mullards too.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:04 pm

MojoBlaster wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 am
In my AD50 Custom Shop (built by Ade) I have NOS Mullard EL34's from the 50's, an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in the V-1 and a NOS Mullard 12AX7 in the V-2. Very happy with this set up.
Woo! Very fancy!