OR80 amp ohms???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

OR80 amp ohms???

Post by nlimbaugh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm

So, I've been using my OR for over 20 years and I used to post a bit here..... Anyway, I just saw someone mention OR80's from the 70's having the wrong impedence listed. Someone said the 16ohms is really 8? I've been kinda meticulous about using correct ohms etc and I never knew this. Is there any truth to this. My 4 ohms mark has been overmarked, I have an 8 and a 16 ohms selector. I think my OR is a 1976 or 1974.... I dunno. I've kept it in top shape.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR80 amp ohms???

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:43 am

Actually, the only way to know for sure is to visually inspect the wiring from within...

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:06 am

What would I be looking for? I sent it out about 9 years ago to a guy very familiar with OR to replace my caps. He mentioned that the fast fuse was actually 1/2 amp and not 1. Do you figure he would have spotted something off with my ohms selector , or, is it something really obscure that one would overlook? I had never heard of the ohms on the selector being off before I read someone's post but I haven't been on the forum for a number of years.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:06 am
What would I be looking for? I sent it out about 9 years ago to a guy very familiar with OR to replace my caps. He mentioned that the fast fuse was actually 1/2 amp and not 1. Do you figure he would have spotted something off with my ohms selector , or, is it something really obscure that one would overlook? I had never heard of the ohms on the selector being off before I read someone's post but I haven't been on the forum for a number of years.
You would totally overlook it. It's fairly easy to stick in the voltage selector for 4 ohms and see if the pin is actually wired. In mine, it was just turned so 8 and 16 were wired...