AD30TC – Mod Input section?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

admirablearticle

AD30TC – Mod Input section?

Post by admirablearticle » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:49 am

Hi, gang.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to mod the Input section of an AD30TC.

The idea is to bridge/jump both channels and run both simultaneously – as one might with a four input amp.

Any and all info gratefully received.

Cheers!

—AA

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: AD30TC – Mod Input section?

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 am

It’s not the input that would need modding. It’s already “bridged” with the single input jack. The preamp relays would need to disconnected as they send the unused preamp channel to ground when not in use. Relays on the output side switch between a pair of post phase inverter volume controls, for each channels separate phase inverter. One preamp channel would need to be rewired into the others phase inverter with proper signal mixing, and jumper or pull and hardwire the volume control relay terminals. The other phase inverter would be un-used.

admirablearticle

Post by admirablearticle » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Jondog – thank you very much for this thorough and highly informative reply.

From your knowledge, would the layout of the AD30TC's PCB make any of these steps particularly difficult?

Would you let me know a little more about 'proper signal mixing'?

And finally, is it feasible to make this mod itself switchable, so the AD30TC could run Ch.1, Ch.2, or Both Channels simultaneously?

Many thanks again for the excellent reply.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I’m familiar with the AD30 circuit as I’ve built clones, but never worked on the pcb. I wouldn’t say it can’t be done, but thats a lot of re-routing and switching Possibly ruining the board. As simple of an amp circuit it is, I’d forget the pcb and build from scratch. Mixing the signals together is just making sure one channel isn’t feeding back into the other with a couple high value resistors, found on vintage Fenders and Marshalls.

admirablearticle

Post by admirablearticle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks again for this knowledgeable response, Jondog – you've likely saved me making a hash of things. Are there any mods you would make to a stock, PCB-based, AD30TC?

This might be off-topic – apologies if so, mods – but, off the top of your head, how would you get a greater palette of tones from an AD-series? I have a few songs that want a maybe tighter, heavier sound, so I'm trying to work something out. The ADs sound great stand-alone, no doubt, and I know they're not high-gain; that said, I'm wondering how far they can go 'off-centre' (with that being a warm, overdriven sound, for me).

I have the AD30TC and AD-5. I'm currently experimenting with a three amp set-up (sounds great in the room, but needs some help recording-wise) – AD30TC, AD-5, Blackstar HT-5. They're really all overdrive amps, I think, so I end up dialling in 'my' tone on all of them if I'm not careful. I'm experimenting with using the Clean channel on the HT-5 as a Fender-ish platform for pedals. With all, I've tried a Bad Monkey and TO800 (Behringer Tubescreamer) in a few positions, Catalinbread SFT (phase invert is a PITA using multi-amps), and the Clean Boost on an SF300 (Behringer Fuzz)... And I'm not really convinced. The results fall into two camps: (i) Something I could have had by dialling-up the 'Gain' or 'Volume', or (ii) that weak, sort-of-clean sound with background distortion. If that's just the truth, that's okay, but I'd be very interested in your take as someone who knows these amps well.

Thanks again.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 pm

An eq pedal and a good overdrive would do lots

admirablearticle

Post by admirablearticle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks again. Any recommendations?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:02 am

Boss GE-7 and SD-1

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 am

It really depends on what tones your trying to achieve.

The AD series amps take pedals extremely well. I have the AD15 and AD5, used to have an AD30.
If you want to sound heavy and nasty, a good fuzz is hard to beat. My favourite to date are the way huge swollen pickle, fuzz factory and whooly mammoth.

All found them are very different but can really rip in a way no overdrive can.

Otherwise, a good old tube screamer type OD works wonder pushing the amp into high gain and getting it to sound tighter. The AD30 and 15 are valve rectified, they're never going to be insanely tight, but rolling off some low end does help.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute