Crush 120 direct recording

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

DemocRich

Crush 120 direct recording

Post by DemocRich » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:17 pm

So I've recently brought myself a crush 120 pro and I'm super happy with it. Sadly I'm not in a position where i can use a cab to play inside so i also own a micro terror for home playing and recording.

The micro terror does sound awesome but I've been tempted a bunch of times to try using the crush for direct recording. In the orange manual I'm fairly certain I read that you cant use the crush without load.

Its a solid state amp so I'd imagine its fine to do and that i could just pull from the send on the fx loop but dont want to risk it without advice first. Anyone here uaing the crush for direct recording? Or should i just stick with the micro terror for recording purposes?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Crush 120 direct recording

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:38 pm

You'll need a load with the CR120.

Something like the jet city jettuanator could be used as load and direct line out. It's only rated to 80w though, so you would need to make sure you'd run your CR120 with the output minimising the overall output (not sure if it's the 8 or 16 ohms, but the jettuanator takes both).
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 pm

I agree with Les Paul Lover, do not run this amp without a speaker or loadbox. FWIW, I use a Two Notes Torpedo Captor for this exact use and it's a wonderful piece of kit. I don't even use a cab anymore at rehearsals and just get my sound through the Captor into a set of in-ear monitors. Sounds heavenly, and is even better when I can use the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin.

DemocRich

Post by DemocRich » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:52 pm

So I ended up calling orange and speaking with a tech. They said theres no issues running this without a cab and that the manual is misprinted. Posting this for anyone else that might have similar issues!

Thanks guys :D