Rocker 30 won't power on at all

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Rocker30Amp

Rocker 30 won't power on at all

Post by Rocker30Amp » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:32 am

Hi all

I was using my Rocker 30 with no issues yesterday morning. I switched it off and went for lunch. Came back, and it wouldn't power on at all. No pilot light, no sound.

Here's what I've tried:

Changed the kettle lead. Plugged it into a different mains socket. Took out mains fuse (under kettle lead socket) and tested with micrometer. Tested HT fuse. Both fuses are fine.

My research online seems to suggest that if it were a valve issue, the amp would still power up. I've also read a bit about heater fuses... not sure how relevant that is here. Is it worth me testing those? If those were gone, would the amp still power up? I'm reluctant to get under the hood unless necessary. I'm incredibly 'dyslexic' when it comes to electronics etc.

Seems very odd to me that it would go from 'working with no issues' to 'not working at all' in the space of around an hour, and without it being a blown fuse.

It may just have to go to a tech, but it's not really cash that I can afford to spend right now!

Just in case it's of any help, I'm in London UK.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 won't power on at all

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Strange.

Good that you actually tested the fuses.
Do any of the valves light up at all?

The valve heater circuit is sort of divided in 2 parts, one through the PCB, one on splicing connectors.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 won't power on at all

Post by Jondog » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:24 am

Im having deja vu. But anyways, voltages need to be checked. But if you’re not familiar with amp construction and safety, its something a tech should do for you.