Jim Root Dark Terror Cab

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

callum112233

Jim Root Dark Terror Cab

Post by callum112233 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:33 am

Hi. I have a Jim Root dark terror which I use with a harley benton G112 (vintage 30 speaker).
I find it is too muddy for my liking and want to get a cab upgrade.
Will this cab be ok? I notice it is only 4ohms, so not sure it will be good with the dark terror?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/blackstar-i ... peaker-cab

Thanks.
Callum.

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Re: Jim Root Dark Terror Cab

Post by northernguitarguy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Nope. You need a minimum 8 ohm speaker cab. You could rewire this cab to make it 16 ohms.

callum112233

Post by callum112233 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Ah thanks. Thats a shame cos it’s a good deal on that blackstar cab :D

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm

callum112233 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:33 am
Hi. I have a Jim Root dark terror which I use with a harley benton G112 (vintage 30 speaker).
I find it is too muddy for my liking and want to get a cab upgrade.
Will this cab be ok? I notice it is only 4ohms, so not sure it will be good with the dark terror?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/blackstar-i ... peaker-cab

Thanks.
Callum.

Callum, did you get to try your jim root terror with another cab?

I have no idea about the quality of the Harley Benton cab, but I know they sell for near enough the cost of V30s.

You may not like the V30.... perhaps you don't like a 112 and you like the V30....
A PPC412 is almost impossible to move on your own, in case you wanted to gig or practice with it.

I would seriously recommend you take your amp to a guitar shop, try a few cabs and see what you like or dont like, and see if you can move them comfortably on your own.

Also, that ID cab might be cheap, most likely because the speakers are lower end cheaper celestion. The V30 speaker is a great quality speaker, that doesn't sound muddy at all. The main selling point of the HB 112.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

callum112233

Post by callum112233 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi thanks for the reply.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I just don't have the head turned up loud enough. Being in a bedroom, I have it just over the first notch on the master volume. Maybe a load box would help?

There's two I was looking at. One considerably cheaper than the other:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/jhs-pedals- ... attenuator

https://www.andertons.co.uk/palmer-pdi0 ... hm-version

Let me know if you think this would help at all.

Thanks.
Callum.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 pm

I'm not sure a load box will help you much.

Part of the sound equation is the speaker moving..... and that requires a minimum volume, that some people may find difficult to accommodate (flat with lots of neighbours, living with parents or young kids).
If you turn it up a bit, does it sound better?

Before you spend some money, I'd look to ascertain where the issue is first, even though that process can be lengthy.

You still should try other cabs too if You can, and certainly, try your own cab with gain and volume at noon....
Where do you set your gain and volume? EQ? What guitar do you play with?

One thing to note with Orange amps is that they dont leave you a place to hide. A great guitar sounds great, but a poor quality guitar with sub standard electronic will sound bland too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

But if he only has the volume at the first notch, then this could totally be the problem. My TH30 and (to a lesser extent) my RV50 MK3 both sound muddy if I only have the volume at the first notch (especially the clean channel). As soon as I get that thing a little higher, it opens up. If the difference in volumes between the first notch and second or third on the Jim Root is enough of a factor in your place to make it too loud, then getting a load box could be your solution.

However, Les Paul Lover is right: it's never going to be as good as opening up your amp with no load box in place.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 pm

A simple solution to brighten things up at low volume is an eq pedal. It won’t sound any worse.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 pm

I don't know what toe of music you plan on playing with the JR #4. I don't know if this is a help, or not; I have the Dark Terror and a PPC112 with the V30 speaker. In a smaller room, I can put its volume at 1 to 2 o'clock and the gain @ say 9:30 am and achieve a good clean tone using my Les Pauls. I'm on the 7-watt side. It's loud but not overly so. I feel that its fine for the particular room.

For a recognizable Orange gritty tone, DT volume is around 11:00am and the gain around 10:30 am. The shape knob is set between 2 and 2:30 pm. Again it's loud, but not overly so.

If I set both that clean tone and then gritty tone any lower, I feel that I'm not hearing what that amp is designed to do. If you cannot operate your Jim Root similar to what I describe, than you may have just too much volume for the room size and possibly too much volume for those nearby. The Terror series is designed to get very good tone without breaking windows or too many complaints from those in close proximity. The Terror amps do have to be loud enough to “hear” what they can deliver, but not so loud as to be impractical.

adkguy07

callum112233

Post by callum112233 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 am

Another thought I had:

The cab is probably only about 5 inches from the wall. Could this make it sound bad at all?

It's a half closed back cab.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

adkguy07 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 pm
I don't know what type of music you plan on playing with the JR #4. I don't know if this is a help, or not; I have the Dark Terror and a PPC112 with the V30 speaker. In a smaller room, I can put its volume at 1 to 2 o'clock and the gain @ say 9:30 am and achieve a good clean tone using my Les Pauls. I'm on the 7-watt side. It's loud but not overly so. I feel that its fine for the particular room.

For a recognizable Orange gritty tone, DT volume is around 11:00am and the gain around 10:30 am. The shape knob is set between 2 and 2:30 pm. Again it's loud, but not overly so.

If I set both that clean tone and then gritty tone any lower, I feel that I'm not hearing what that amp is designed to do. If you cannot operate your Jim Root similar to what I describe, than you may have just too much volume for the room size and possibly too much volume for those nearby. The Terror series is designed to get very good tone without breaking windows or too many complaints from those in close proximity. The Terror amps do have to be loud enough to “hear” what they can deliver, but not so loud as to be impractical.

adkguy07

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am

callum112233 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 am
Another thought I had:

The cab is probably only about 5 inches from the wall. Could this make it sound bad at all?

It's a half closed back cab.
It may well be a factor as to volume level and overall sound characteristics. Not knowing the room dimensions, I'd say move the amp out several all feet from the wall, elevate it from the floor perhaps 18 inches, or so. That way you will hear more of the highs and less of the lower frequencies. Try it that way first and evaluate the tone. The V30 should sound very good with your amp.

My own Dark Terror goes into a PPC112 with the V30 (speaker is quite broken in) and is elevated on an amp stand 15inches from the floor and pitched upwards 14 degrees. It's not in a room corner, but it's out from the wall 2 to 3 feet.

adkguy07

Coma

Post by Coma » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 am

Realise this thread isn't exactly catch-o-the-day fresh anymore, but here are my two cents. Oh, and please note that I'm not trying to sh*t on Orange. This is just MY experience with this particular piece of gear.

I used to own a JR Terror. Ran it through a PPC412. Could never get it to sound the way I wanted. Clean and crunch was wonderful, but once the gain moved past 2 o'clock (ie into the metal zone) it was fizz city. No clarity whatsoever. Fine if you play stoner, not so much if you play thrash. And even with the treble knob cranked, it never had enough top end for my needs (and mind you, I'm very sensitive to treble. I usually keep treble and presence rolled way back).

I tried swapping the two first preamp as well as both power tubes. That made things a little better but didn't remedy them.

I tried using an attenuator, though it was a very cheap one. It was like playing with a wet blanket over the speaker. By the way, that JHS isn't an actual attenuator, it's just a volume knob in an enclosure.

I tried an MXR 10-band EQ in the FX loop. It took away some of the fizz, but then brought it right back when I tried to compensate for missing high end by dialing up the 4k slider. The one upside with this thing though, was that by bringing down the volume slider I could get more useful range out of the amp volume knob at bedroom levels. Incidentally, this is exactly what that JHS black box will do.

Finally, I took the amp into my rehearsal space and cranked it. Big amps do sound dull and muffled below a certain volume, so I figured that might be the problem. But nope, the Terror was still very underwhelming in terms of high end and general fizziness.

In the amps defense, I've heard demoes of people just making that little box sing and scream beautifully. Either way, after three months or so I gave up and sold it.