Rockerverb 50mki combo 60 hertz hum and reverb noise

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

E3GH75

Rockerverb 50mki combo 60 hertz hum and reverb noise

Post by E3GH75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:56 am

Hello everyone,

My ‘09 rockerverb 50mki has developed a noticeable 60 hertz hum when the amp is on. Also turning up the reverb dramatically increase the hum and noise. It’s not a 120 Hz hum. Definitely a lower pitch hum. I have the amp on an isolation transformer and I have replaced all the tubes and reseated the plugs to the reverb tank. The hum happens with nothing plugged in and all the knobs at 0 as soon as I turn it from standby to on. The amp is completely silent when it’s in standby. I have attempted to plug in to the effects loop in but that did not resolve the issue either. I have even tried unplugging the reverb tank and that did not help either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phlowen
Rocker

Re: Rockerverb 50mki combo 60 hertz hum and reverb noise

Post by Phlowen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:46 pm

You hear it even with nothing plugged into the input? That's not right. If you've already replaced all the tubes, I think it's time to take it to a tech. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it sounds like a deeper issue (maybe something coming ungrounded or some sort of short?).
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

LD50
Tiny Terror

Re: Rockerverb 50mki combo 60 hertz hum and reverb noise

Post by LD50 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Hum like that could be a failing filter cap, possibly one of the output tubes on the way out (ie mismatch), to find out you really need a signal generator/scope to find out where the noise is coming from in a logical manner.